New Hampshire Legal Assistance (NHLA) seeks Paralegal Advocates. With NHLA attorney supervision and as part of an integrated team, Paralegal Advocates will help low-income and older (age 60 and over) clients resolve civil legal problems with a focus on subject matter areas including subsidized housing and public benefits. NHLA offers comprehensive training for new attorneys and paralegal advocates.
NHLA is a civil legal aid law firm with offices in Berlin, Claremont, Concord, Manchester, and Portsmouth. We are seeking two Paralegal Advocates to be based in either one of Berlin, Claremont, Concord, or Portsmouth offices (each office can accommodate one Paralegal Advocate). Extensive travel throughout the state is required (mileage reimbursement is provided). During the COVID-19 pandemic, NHLA is operating primarily through remote work, with a comprehensive, phased plan for returning to office-based work. Staff members are provided with the necessary equipment (such as computers) to work from their homes.
NHLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a diverse staff that reflects the communities of low-income and older (age 60 plus) people NHLA works alongside, and we value equity and inclusion in our workplace. NHLA actively seeks applications from Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities, older adults, veterans, people who have lived experience with poverty, and other people belonging to communities that have historically experienced injustice.
- With attorney supervision, represent clients in administrative proceedings such as housing and public benefits appeals.
- Provide litigation support in state and federal court cases, including work with clients.
- After building expertise, participate in community engagement efforts such as educational presentations and webinars.
- Learn and implement NHLA’s holistic, client-centered approach to civil legal aid, including language access, cultural competency, and trauma-informed practices.
- NHLA is a statewide nonprofit law firm that helps low-income and older individuals and families with civil legal problems that impact their basic needs, such as housing, economic security, and safety from violence. As a civil legal aid provider, we represent clients in all of New Hampshire’s state and federal courts, as well as before administrative agencies. We advocate for low-income and older people in the New Hampshire Legislature and offer training and education to our client communities as well as fellow service providers. NHLA is a cornerstone New Hampshire nonprofit, marking our 50th anniversary in 2021.
This position is considered non-exempt for the purpose of federal wage/hour law. Salary DOE, expected to range from to $22.69 to $23.98 per hour ($44,247 to $46,754 per year), plus benefits package including medical/dental insurance, retirement plan, and generous paid time off.
- Bachelor’s degree, or at least 2-4 years prior relevant experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Current technology skills.
- Ability to speak Spanish or another language in addition to English a plus.
- Prior law-related work and/or education a plus.
- Commitment to and interest in expanding knowledge about access to justice and poverty.
Send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. In your cover email or cover letter, please tell us in which offices (Berlin, Claremont, Concord, and Portsmouth) you would be willing to work. Please also feel free to tell us anything that will help us communicate respectfully with you, including your preferred pronouns, the pronunciation of your name, or any other relevant information.