POSITION: Paralegal- Senior Citizens Legal Advocacy Program
SUPERVISOR: Supervising Attorney
WAGE RANGE: $32,815 - $38,314 depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full time, 35-hour work week, hourly, non-exempt
LOCATION: Santa Ana Office
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Legal Aid Society of Orange County (LASOC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County, where it is known as Community Legal Services (CLS). LASOC/CLS seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective Paralegal to be part of the Santa Ana Senior Citizens Legal Advocacy Program. Under the supervision of the Supervising Attorney, the paralegal will interview clients, maintain client files, prepare legal forms, pleadings, other writings in connection with trials, settlements, and other legal proceedings and represent clients at administrative hearings.
Essential Job Duties
- Duties will involve interviewing clients and maintaining client files.
- Preparing legal forms, pleading and other writings in connection with trials and settlements and other legal proceedings.
- Write, edit and finalize correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents including drafting discovery and discovery motions.
- Handle Administrative Hearing.
- Represent clients at administrative law proceedings in government benefit cases, training will be provided.
- Provide outreach intake services at Senior Centers
- Legal and factual research. Cite checking.
- Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- As needed, maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems.
- Prepare detailed monthly reports for the funding agency.
- Enter time into Case Management System.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bilingual English/Vietnamese highly preferred.
Strong technical skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and document assembly program Form Builder. Internet research skills including Westlaw and LexisNexis. Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple complex tasks concurrently in a professional and efficient manner. Excellent attention to detail. Must be a team player, able to work under pressure.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree and/or paralegal certificate. Must have one-year experience as a paralegal.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Jessica Flowers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.