National Legal Director
Location: Flexible (San Francisco, CA or D.C)
- Equal Rights Advocates, ERA, is a national civil rights organization founded in 1974 to expand economic and educational access and opportunities for women and girls.
- The Opportunity - The National Legal Director will oversee ERA’s robust and expanding legal programs and initiatives based both in San Francisco and Washington D.C. and contribute to long-range strategic planning building ERA’s national impact. ERA seeks candidates with significant experience and success leading workplace and/or school reforms, and national and/or multi-state legal programs.
- Legal Program Execution, Management, and Evaluation (60%)
- Legal Program Strategic Visioning (20%)
- Organizational Leadership & Fund Development/Reporting (20%)
Compensation & Benefits:
- The National Legal Director position has a salary range of $130,000-190,000, dependent on experience and skill set
Application Link: https://diversifiedsearchgroup.com/search/era-national-legal-director/
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Passion for gender and racial equity, reflected in a clear and inspiring commitment to the mission and growth of ERA.
- from an accredited law school and membership in good standing;
- The ideal candidate will be a proven legal visionary and strategist, with 10+ years experience managing, building, and/or growing legal teams and programs with a national footprint, including representation of workers/student in discrimination matters.
- Demonstrated success building and/or contributing to national coalitions and networks aligned with ERA’s mission.
- Prior legal director and multi-location management experience preferred.
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of constitutional law and civil rights issues related to ERA’s mission, and a demonstrated commitment to the preservation and vigorous enforcement of the civil rights of women and girls.
- Proven ability to work with other senior legal staff and other counsel developing and implementing short- and long-term litigation strategies in trial and appellate proceedings in both state and federal courts. Proven ability to serve as lead counsel and support other staff in lead counsel roles.
- Extensive familiarity with the working and operation of state and federal government, with federal policy and/or government relations experience preferred.
- Exceptional research, writing and analytical skills; excellent oral communication skills; proven ability to clearly communicate complex legal issues both in the courtroom and to the public.
- Demonstrated experience serving as a spokesperson and thought leader on social justice issues. Prior media experience preferred.
- Experience managing legal budgets and enthusiasm for and proven ability to develop funds and business to further organizational goals and to manage grant deliverables.
- Proven ability to successfully manage and mentor employees, a commitment to the values and principles of diversity and equity, and experience working with and engaging diverse communities, clients and coalition partners including non-attorneys.
- Comfortable in a techy, paper-less environment and adeptness at navigating systems and apps: Microsoft 365 product suite, internal messaging (i.e. Slack), productivity and project management (i.e. BlackBaud, Salesforce, Adobe Pro DC, e-sign, Basecamp), expenses (i.e. Concur), time tracking (i.e. Hour Timesheets), virtual telecom and video meetings (i.e. RingCentral, Zoom), and cloud-based systems/applications.
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration, and influencing skills; inspires and motivates.
- Multilingual and multi-cultural capabilities are always a plus.