Managing or Assistant Managing Attorney
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM) seeks three civil rights attorneys to promote and advance the human and legal rights of people with disabilities as leaders of our Developmental Disabilities and Healthcare team (2 positions: Managing Attorney and Assistant Managing Attorney), and our Mental Health team (Managing Attorney).
These positions are part of DRM’s management team and directly supervise the legal work of staff attorneys, paralegals and advocates. Responsibilities include mentoring, supervising and supporting the professional development of staff attorneys, paralegals and advocates. These positions also support reporting and compliance requirements for DRM’s programs, including preparation and submission of grant reports with other members of the leadership team.
Programmatic Management & Administration
· Participate as part of the DRM management team in the planning and execution of DRM goals and objectives, including long-range planning, legislative and administrative education and technical assistance, public and media relations, budgetary planning, and staffing;
· Collaborate with external coalitions, organizations, associations, etc., to advance DRM’s advocacy initiatives;
· Supervise maintenance of program information necessary for grant reports, audits, applications, etc., and have first and primary responsibility for writing and submitting all required grant applications and program performance reports within the team; and
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or her designee.
Supervision of Legal Work:
· Provide supervision for attorneys, advocates and paralegals;
· Provide substantive guidance, consultation, and technical assistance to staff as needed;
· Monitor and review the team’s work to ensure quality, and evaluate staff performance.
· Managing and Assistant Managing Attorneys also may engage in individual casework and other advocacy initiatives.
· J. D. Degree from an accredited law school; licensed to practice law in Maryland or admission to practice in Maryland after sitting for the next available Bar Exam;
· Demonstrated commitment to DRM’s core mission of advancing the civil rights of people with disabilities to self-determination, dignity, community integration, equal opportunity, and freedom from discrimination;
· A minimum of five years’ legal experience in positions of increasing responsibility. At least one year of experience providing direct supervision of legal work preferred;
· Experience working on advocacy and policy initiatives, and/or litigation;
· Ability to communicate complex legal issues clearly and effectively both orally and in writing;
· Strong interpersonal skills;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and collaborate with DRM staff and colleagues in a team environment;
· Ability to motivate and direct team staff; and
· Ability to travel within the State of Maryland.
· Knowledge of mental health law, Medicaid law, and/or laws and policies affecting individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities;
· Knowledge of public policy and legislative processes;
· Knowledge of laws, regulations and case law regarding disability discrimination;
· Experience in Maryland District and Circuit courts, and Federal courts;
· Experience working with and/or sensitivity to persons with disabilities and from multi-ethnic communities;
· A demonstrated interest or background in public interest work, particularly related to disability rights issues;
· Life experience with a disability; and
· Fluency in American Sign Language or Spanish.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive, depending on experience. The annual salary range for an Assistant Managing Attorney with 5-7 years’ experience is between $74,219 and $76,489, and for Managing Attorney with 5-7 years’ experience is between $76,219 and $78,489. Salary depends on experience.
DRM offers a generous benefits package which includes excellent medical insurance, employer-paid dental, prescription, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as pre-tax savings plans, a retirement savings opportunity with generous employer contributions, and opportunities for telecommuting policy. DRM offers employee reimbursement for some or all of the cost of spouse or partner-paid health insurance premiums up to an established maximum amount. DRM also offers generous paid time off, including vacation, holidays, sick time, and more.
While DRM can offer some flexibility in hours, days and location of work, generally work hours are Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm. Occasional evenings and weekend work may be required. This announcement can also be found at https://disabilityrightsmd.org/careers/ .
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM), a private, non-profit law firm, is a leader in disability rights and the Congressionally mandated Protection and Advocacy organization for individuals with disabilities in Maryland. We provide free legal services and advocacy to persons with disabilities in Maryland. DRM envisions a world where people with disabilities are fully included in all aspects of community life.
Our staff are collaborative, collegial and committed to the well-being of the communities we serve and one another. Our workplace is flexible and we place a high value on diversity and inclusion, both as an organization and individually
E-mail resume, cover letter, a writing sample to Jobs@DisabilityRightsMD.org with “Assistant/ Managing Attorney” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Positions remain open until filled with priority given to applications received before January 9, 2023.
We are looking for thoughtful, personalized cover letters that demonstrate the applicant’s qualifications, work style and interest in being part of a team working to advance the civil rights of persons with disabilities in Maryland.
DRM is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. People of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are especially encouraged to apply