Managing Attorney (Legal Hotline)
The Legal Hotline for Texans (LHT) Managing Attorney is responsible for coordinating and supervising LHT program staff. The Managing Attorney is also responsible for implementing the Texas Legal Services Center (TLSC) contract with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) as well as any other contracts that may fund the LHT in the future. In addition, the Managing Attorney provides legal assistance to eligible clients, and backup and support to Benefits Counselors and ombudsmen of the Area Agencies on Aging. The position will work in close collaboration with the Seniors, Veterans, and Persons with Disabilities Practice Area Manager.
The attorney in this position is expected to:
· Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards as a member of the State Bar of Texas;
· Adhere to the American Bar Association Standards for the Provision of Civil Legal Aid;
· Embrace and support Texas Legal Service Center’s (TLSC) overall mission;
· Comply with all grant requirements, regulations, standards, policies and confidentiality requirements.
This is a grant-funded position.
• Provide leadership and vision to the LHT staff and program with an eye toward growing services for clients aligned with TLSC’s mission.
• Provide high quality legal advice, assistance, and referrals to eligible clients.
• Conduct intake interviews, confirm eligibility for services and check for conflicts of interest according to TLSC policy.
• Maintain relationships, provide support, assistance, and leadership to funders and legal aid providers in a responsive and professional manner.
• Manage program budget, coordinate projects, track budget, and project deadlines/milestones and ensure timely project completion between LHT, within the practice area group, within TLSC, and organizations outside of TLSC.
• Actively represent the TLSC leadership team while participating in the practice area group, task forces and program staff meetings to communicate leadership decisions and values as well as receive input and provide support.
• Identify need for publications as well as draft and update legal information publications, tools, manuals, and forms for LHT and for those served under the TLSC contract with HHSC.
• Travel to remote locations to conduct training and outreach activities.
• Stay current with changes to laws regarding seniors, elder law, and Medicare.
• Ensure that all client, project and computer files are maintained in an orderly fashion.
• Develop, oversee, and participate in specialized training programs as requested.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• J.D. Degree
• Licensure by the Supreme Court of Texas
• Minimum 5 years of law experience.
· Experience with leading, mentoring, and motivating staff.
• Proven ability to make tough decisions.
• Current knowledge and expertise of the law and legal system, especially in areas that affect elder law.
• Advance level project management skills.
• Exceptional verbal, listening and written communications skills.
• High-level organization skills.
• Strong time management and attention to detail skills.
• Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
• Proficiency with or the ability to learn LegalServer (TLSC’s case management system), Adobe, Microsoft Office products, G Suite apps, and social media tools.
• Understanding of budget processes, grant requirements, and associated reporting needs.
• Ability to work with clients in a patient, trauma informed and non-judgmental manner.
• Ability to travel to remote locations.
• Experience using or ability to learn technology, including virtual meeting software/technology, such as GoToWebinar, Zoom or Skype
• Sedentary work that involves sitting most of the time.
• Occasional bending, squatting and kneeling.
• Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force is needed at times to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply please follow link