Heart of Florida Legal Aid Society, Inc. (HOFLA) provides free civil legal aid services to low-income residents of Polk, Hardee, and Highlands counties in family law and immigration matters. Our case priorities focus on assisting survivors of domestic violence and increasing household income. Offices are in Bartow, FL and Sebring, FL.
HOFLA seeks a Managing Attorney to work closely with our Executive Director to oversee program stability and community impact.
Key responsibilities include:
- Coordinating civil legal services and outreach in our Polk, Highlands, and Hardee counties service area;
- Engaging in fundraising, grants management, and funder reporting to sustain and expand our legal services;
- Assisting to manage budgets throughout the year to ensure fiscal health;
- Providing supervision to staff attorneys in one or more of our core legal practice areas: immigration, family law, or domestic violence, while pursuing professional development opportunities for legal staff;
- Supporting HOFLA’s litigation program, including representation of clients in family law matters in state court;
- Representing HOFLA in statewide legal services efforts, education, and coordination;
- Engaging with other organizations to support collaboration efforts connected to community organizing; and
- Working closely with the Executive Director to coordinate organization support where needed.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate impeccable attention to detail, excellent writing skills, and the ability to pivot easily between competing tasks.
HOFLA provides a four-day work week, health insurance, generous paid leave, and other competitive benefits. Paid trainings are also provided. Salary is negotiable depending on experience. Student loan repayment assistance of up to $5,000 annually may also be available.
Requirements: Florida Bar admitted and in good standing; minimum of 5 years of experience as an attorney in one of our core areas of practice (immigration, family law, or domestic violence); proven supervisory and management experience; experience with grants management, fundraising and/or donor cultivation; and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
How to Apply: Candidates should send a resume, writing sample, and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications shall be held in confidence and accepted until the position is filled.