Legal Aid Society of Columbus (LASC) is part of a three-part legal aid program headquartered in Columbus, Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA). OSLSA’s mission is to provide civil legal aid and advocacy to combat unfairness and injustice and to help people rise out of poverty.
LASC is actively seeking a dedicated, professional Managing Attorney to provide leadership and support to the Health and Public Benefits Practice Group work as well as ensure the team is providing comprehensive legal services for civil issues in pursuit of the organization’s mission and priorities. Managing Attorneys balance systemic advocacy with practical day-to-day legal representation and staff support.
In collaboration with the Advocacy Directors, you will be responsible for providing leadership to attorneys and paralegals, identifying and engaging in impact representation (including litigation and other advocacy), litigation planning, strategy, community education, assisting in identifying and pursuing funding, and collaborating with the leadership team to balance both the needs of individual clients and the need for broader systemic change for the future.
Are You Someone That:
• Is dedicated to improving the lives of low-income individuals in our communities?
• Enjoys helping clients triumph over adversity?
• Is motivated, professional and thrives within a collaborative, team-driven environment?
• Believes successful resolution can be reached beyond traditional litigation?
• Is interested in developing a wide range of legal skills and experiences? • Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and quality?
• Has expertise in a wide range of Health and Public Benefits litigation and experiences?
• Is able to effectively balance being responsive to emerging issues raised by attorneys and driving to meet organizational priorities?
• Manage and support Health and Public Benefits practice group including attorneys with a wide range of skills and experiences • Lead and support all functions related to legal advocacy ranging from intake to the representation of clients before local, state, appellate and federal courts, and all relevant agencies
• Develop, implement and participate in active strategic involvement in the local community including legal education, outreach activities, clinics and other community events to positively impact client communities
• Collaborate with other legal services attorneys on statewide advocacy
• Promote community relations and build community relationships by engaging with the public and partner service providers
• Develop and maintain local bar/bench relationships, relationships with local legislators and other community leaders
• Remain current on emerging legal topics and identify relevant trends related to Health and Public Benefits
• Be a part of a community of collaborative and mission driven professionals
• Facilitate professional development of attorneys across practice groups
• Co-counsel, when appropriate as well as determine other methods of effectively supporting attorneys’ success in and out of the courtroom
• Collaborate with across departments to assist with applications and reports and for funding sources and government agencies
• Demonstrated progressive experience practicing law in a variety of substantive areas and specific expertise in the area of Health & Public Benefits • Excellent legal and communications skills with a proven record of performance and achievement • High ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment • High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion • Ability to facilitate collaboration as well as build and sustain productive relationships with diverse individuals, groups and organizations • Demonstrated ability to successfully lead, manage and develop a diverse team of professionals • Excellent communication skills, both orally and written, with diverse audiences • A commitment to diversity and inclusion both internally and externally • Strong work ethic with an ability to connect big picture ideas to day-to-day work • Ability to prioritize workload to manage time and tasks and delegate responsibilities in an effective and efficient manner • Proficiency in Microsoft applications, knowledge of current technologies and commitment to remain up to date with industry best practices • English language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus. Additional languages – even better • Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and admitted to the Bar of the State of Ohio (or if not currently admitted, eligible to waive in) required • Prior Legal Aid or related work experience a plus, but not required
• It is the policy of OSLSA not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, and military status or any other characteristic protected by law. • The position reports to the Executive Director, is based in Columbus, Ohio and requires regular travel throughout the service area. • Salary is dependent upon level of experience. OSLSA offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package and ongoing training and development opportunities.
Submit resume and letter of interest to email@example.com.