Legal Services of Northern Virginia is a large, high-volume legal aid organization in Virginia, with 45+ attorneys working out of 7 offices. We help thousands of disadvantaged clients each year in civil legal matters, while cultivating relationships with community service organizations, pro bono attorneys, local bar associations, and other stakeholders to serve the region’s low-income and neediest populations. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Job Summary: LSNV is seeking to hire a full-time attorney to oversee the Arlington office operations, including the management and supervision of law office staff.
Essential Functions (include but are not limited to):
- Handles a moderate sized caseload commensurate for an experienced attorney with co-existent managerial and mentoring responsibilities.
- Coordinates community outreach
- Represents LSNV in communications with other community partners
- Monitors and assesses local government’s developments
- Manages Staff Attorneys and Support Staff
- Maintains necessary office space, library, equipment and systems, and fiscal responsibilities – in partnership with the Deputy Director, IT Manager, and the HR Manager
- Promotes a positive relationship with local bar and judges, for LSNV
- Advises Deputy Director of bar developments and issues which may or will affect LSNV
- Serves as an active member of LSNV’s Management Team
Qualifications: The ideal applicant will possess a demonstrated commitment to public interest work and a strong desire to assist indigent applicants. Further, the ideal candidate will have the following:
- Must be licensed with the Virginia State Bar (in good standing) or have two years of practice in another state (LAC Rule 1A:9) and four (4) years of post-JD experience (required)
- Demonstrated commitment to legal aid/pro bono/non-profit work (strongly preferred)
Demonstrated management/supervisory experience
- Experience in providing legal advice and policy guidance
- Ability to communicate organizational vision, which integrates key national and program goals, priorities, values, and other factors
- Experience establishing and maintaining harmonious relationships with stakeholders, including the public, legal aid organizations, members of county/city departments in LSNV jurisdictions
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Able to make timely and effective decisions and produce results
- Able to explain, advocate and express facts and ideas in a convincing manner, and negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally
Travel: Some local travel may be required.
How to Apply: Cover letters and resumes are reviewed upon receipt and well-qualified applicants will be invited to interview. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, at which time, the job announcement will be removed from our website. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter detailing your interest in the position to Ashley McGlawn, HR Manager at email@example.com.