Manager (Volunteer Lawyers Project)
Position: Iowa Legal Aid is seeking a creative, energetic and entrepreneurial leader to manage its Volunteer Lawyers Project. The ideal applicant will demonstrate the ability to successfully recruit and retain dedicated volunteer attorneys and work with Iowa Legal Aid staff to develop volunteer opportunities that are engaging and beneficial to our clients.Volunteer Lawyers Project: Iowa Legal Aid’s Volunteer Lawyers Project connects low-income clients with volunteer attorneys throughout the state. The attorneys provide legal assistance to the clients on a pro bono basis to help ensure equal access to justice in Iowa. The project also recruits and oversees our law student interns.
Responsibilities: The Manager is responsible for the operation of the Volunteer Lawyers Project, under the supervision of the Executive Director. Duties include:
- Implementing a strategic plan to expand the number of volunteer lawyers and the number of clients served;
- Cultivating and maintaining productive relationships with law firms, in-house legal departments, and law schools;
- Working with Iowa Legal Aid staff to develop both in-house volunteer opportunities as well as opportunities out in the community, including clinics;
- Educating attorneys about the importance of pro bono services to low-income Iowans;
- Recruiting volunteer attorneys and helping to ensure they have productive and fulfilling volunteer experiences;
- Promoting the availability of emeritus status to the bar and providing support to volunteer attorneys who seek emeritus certification.
- Supervising the day-to-day operations of the Volunteer Lawyers Project, which currently includes two full-time staff and may include AmeriCorps members;
- Recruiting Iowa Legal Aid’s summer law student interns (paid and volunteer); and
- Other duties assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualifications: This position requires a motivated professional with
- the ability to make persuasive presentations;
- excellent writing and problem-solving skills;
- ability to interact well with members of the bar and the judiciary;
- excellent organizational skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines;
- ability to work as part of a team; and
- competence with web-based applications, social media and other technology.
A bachelors or similar secondary degree is strongly preferred. Iowa Legal Aid will consider both attorney and non-attorney applicants for this position, but experience in the legal field is preferred.
Submit letter of application, resume, recent representative writing sample, and names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least three professional references as soon as possible to:
Arlys Kness, Iowa Legal Aid
666 Walnut Street, 25th Floor • Des Moines, Iowa 50309 • email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer