Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) Director
Richmond office located at 114 North Third Street, Richmond, KY. This well-established legal services program is in its 50th year of serving low-income and other vulnerable clients in eastern and south-central Kentucky. AppalReD Legal Aid operates a network of 5 field offices with a staff of 25 attorneys, 3 paralegals, and supporting personnel. Each office has excellent facilities and the necessary equipment to permit the staff to function as a first-class law firm.
AppalReD Legal Aid’s LITC serves 86 Kentucky counties. The Clinic Director acts as the primary contact with the IRS and state tax authorities for clients with tax controversies. Key responsibilities include:
- Screening potential clients.
- Handling the clinic caseload.
- Managing the caseload for any pro bono attorneys or volunteers.
- Supervising the LITC paralegal.
- Providing training and supervision to pro bono attorneys and other tax assistance volunteers to ensure accurate and timely service to low income taxpayers.
- Providing technical assistance/advice regarding individual income tax issues to other AppalReD Legal Aid attorneys as needed.
- Conducting educational outreach and workshops on various tax issues.
- Maintaining relationships with local non-profits and other low income taxpayer clinics to ensure appropriate services are received by clients.
- Documenting all client related and educational outreach/workshop activities.
- Preparing LITC grant applications and related reports.
- Ensuring reporting on client cases is complete, accurate, and in compliance with LITC program guidelines.
Applicants should have a strong interest in serving the legal needs of low-income people and a strong interest in tax law. Admission to practice law in Kentucky or eligibility for limited admission under Kentucky Supreme Court Rule 2.112 if admitted in another state is preferred, but May 2021 law school graduates will be considered. Salary ranges from $45,218 to $74,734 depending on experience with generous benefits and leave time.
Interested applicants should apply to Robert C. Johns, Executive Director, AppalReD Legal Aid, 120 N. Front Avenue, Prestonsburg, KY 41653 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should send a resume under a cover letter indicating the specific nature of their interest in the position. Applicants should also enclose a writing sample and list of references. Selected applicants will be asked to visit the Richmond office. For further information and questions, interested applicants may call Robert C. Johns at (606) 889-1984.
Submission Deadline: Friday, October 29, 2021
An Equal Opportunity Employer