Legal Secretary Manager (Support Services)
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Legal Secretary Manager.
*Assigned location is subject to change during course of employment.
- High school graduate or equivalent; some college helpful;
- A minimum of three (3) years as a litigation secretary;
- One (1) year of supervisory experience required;
- Ability to operate and understand a variety of office tools and technology;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and work cooperatively with staff;
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with people of diverse cultures with tact and sensitivity.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Knowledge of court system, legal citations, civil litigation, legal terminology and understanding of requirements of professional responsibility;
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills; and
- Multilingual skills in languages and dialects of client community served by LAFLA helpful.
- Supervises secretarial staff; and coordinates secretarial workflow;
- Ensures all secretarial tasks are completed effectively, efficiently and timely;
- Ensures adequate coverage for all absences, including performing, when necessary, the duties of secretarial staff;
- Identifies training needs for secretarial staff in office/court tools and technology. Assists in providing or coordinating such training;
- Monitors secretarial staff compliance with LAFLA’s policies and procedures;
- Ensures maintenance of office docket/calendar/tickler systems;
- Completes timely evaluations and workplans for all secretarial staff;
- Participates in the development and maintenance of a variety of agency-wide resource materials, such as a secretarial handbook and support resource library;
- Ensures prompt distribution of mail, fax and email correspondence, and all other documents;
- Tracks litigation costs and other fiscal accounts as required;
- Ensures maintenance and proper handling of closed case files, including coordinating with appropriate staff and/or other departments for off-site archival filing;
- Travels to all five offices to supervise and/or cover for secretarial staff; and
- Performs other duties as assigned and/or required.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Legal Secretary Manager” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.