Legal Secretary Manager
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Legal Secretary Manager.
- High school graduate or equivalent; some college helpful.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience as a litigation secretary required.
- Three – Five years of supervisory experience required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software and Adobe preferred.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with people of diverse cultures with tact and sensitivity, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel to LAFLA’s five community offices, as needed.
- Ability to communicate in another language preferred.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
- Supervise secretarial support staff across LAFLA’s five community offices, including training and onboarding of secretary staff, monitoring compliance with LAFLA’s policies and procedures, and conducting performance reviews.
- Manage secretarial assignments and workflow, delegate work and project assignments, and ensure adequate support staff coverage, including assisting with administrative and backup secretarial support as needed.
- Oversee the prompt handling of mail, fax and email correspondence, as well as the maintenance of orderly and current client files and calendaring systems.
- Maintain user accounts with LAFLA’s correspondence and litigation service vendors and approve vendor invoicing.
- Maintain the proper handling of closed case files, including coordinating with appropriate staff and/or other departments for archival filing.
- Performs other duties as assigned and/or required.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Legal Secretary Manager” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A one-year introductory period will be required.
VACCINATION POLICY AND COVID-19 PROTOCOLS – LAFLA requires all staff, including new hires, to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) and have received at least one COVID-19 booster shot. If hired, all employees must present proof of vaccination by their start date.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
The company is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. If you require reasonable accommodation as part of the application process or expect to require an accommodation if hired, please contact email@example.com.Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.