Legal Secretary (Low Income Tax Clinic)
Low Income Tax Clinic and Albuquerque Office
New Mexico Legal Aid (NMLA) provides civil legal services to low-income New Mexicans for a variety of legal issues including domestic violence/family law, consumer protection, housing, tax and benefits. NMLA has locations throughout the state including Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Gallup, Roswell, Silver City, Clovis, Hobbs, Las Vegas, Taos, and Santa Ana.
The Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) assists people at or below 250% of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines to contest adverse tax decisions.
New Mexico Legal Aid seeks a Legal Secretary for our Low Income Tax Clinic and Albuquerque General office.
This position will be based out of the NMLA Albuquerque Office.
For LITC the Legal Secretary will be responsible for:
- Maintaining client information in a database.
- Conducting intakes.
- Communicating successfully and respectfully with clients by any available verbal or written means.
- Collection of client data.
- Drafting correspondence and preparing other written materials.
For the Albuquerque office, the Legal Secretary will be responsible for:
- Serving as receptionist for phone and in-person contacts with office.
- Conducting intakes.
- Assisting with drafting, editing and managing correspondence, case documents and administrative documents.
- Assisting with scheduling and calendar management for staff.
- Assisting staff with organizing and maintaining administrative resources and client files.
- General filing and clerical support.
- Maintains notary license and fulfills office notary requirements.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Three (3) or more years of legal secretary experience;
- Understands local and state court rules and procedures including service of summons, deadlines, filing papers, certificate of service etc;
- Creative self-starter;
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and build collaborative relationships within the staff;
- Able to effectively use computer technology and remote communications systems, including shared on-line workspaces and web meeting and videoconferencing software, to effectively collaborate and co-counsel with staff located in multiple offices.
- Familiarity with Office365 is a plus.
- Excellent organizational and written communication skills.
- Maintenance of office files and records.
- Abilities include calendaring.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
- Must be capable of being bonded.
NMLA employees enjoy:
- Being unionized
- A great work environment
- Great benefits including generous leave
- Competitive salary and benefits package
Applicants will be subject to a background check. Please do not let this deter you from applying. NMLA is committed to a strong workforce and will review records individually to determine whether a particular record will disqualify.
The position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Pay is determined by years of experience and is set by a scale; click here to view the salary scale. NMLA provides a comprehensive benefits, holiday and leave packages. For information about NMLA's generous benefits and what it is like to work at NMLA click here
Provide a current resume and a cover letter that explains your interest in this position and the mission of NMLA by clicking here to apply. Your application will not be considered unless we receive both of these documents. As an alternative, you can email the applicant packet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: DOE, NMLA is an EEO Employer. Deadline: Until filled. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis.