Legal IT Manager
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 175 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org.
The Position: Reporting directly to the Director of Information Technology (IT), the Legal IT Manager will be responsible for managing LAFLA’s legal case management system (LegalServer) and other technology platforms used by the legal department. LegalServer is LAFLA’s information management software that allows the organization to manage all client-related details including client and organization information, documents, notes, faxes, email messages, timekeeping and planning. The positions will serve as the primary administrative staff for implementing database modifications, training staff on the database, developing policies and procedures related and providing end user support.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Legal IT Manager.
*Assigned location is subject to change during course of employment
• JD degree required;
• At least 5 years’ experience in a legal services position with case management responsibilities;
• Experience in database and technology management and reporting, preferably in a legal services environment required;
• Strong administrative skills and self-motivated with the ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks under minimal supervision in an effective and efficient manner;
• Prior experience training staff on technology platforms
• Detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills;
• Ability to collaborate effectively as a team player;
• Excellent project management and customer service skills;
• Self-starter with initiative to overcome obstacles and recommend solutions to problems; and
• Ability to work under pressure and respond to deadlines without sacrificing quality.
• Develop, recommend, and implement policies, operating procedures, and best practices for LAFLA’s strategic use of technology in the delivery of legal services through collaboration with other members of the Management team.
• Manage LAFLA’s legal case management database (LegalServer), including ensuring that LAFLA’s case management database software is adequate to meet compliance requirements of LAFLA’s funding sources, including LSC, IOLTA, and other grantors, and coordinating with the database vendor.
• Responsible for the LegalServer database, including, but not limited to, troubleshooting errors with LegalServer, implementing modifications, adding and updating user profiles, creating and updating document templates, evaluating and troubleshooting software interfaces and tools related to LegalServer.
• Work with Managing Attorneys on LegalServer related case compliance and reporting.
• Implement other technology platforms for use by the legal department.
• Work with the Managing Attorneys to develop technology platform policies and procedures for end-users.
• Train staff in the use of Legal Server and other legal technology applications, and develop training materials and resources.
• Work with the other members of the IT team to provide training and end-user workstation support for Legal department technology.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Legal IT Manager” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.