Legal Director of the Disabilities Law Program
LEGAL DIRECTOR JOB ANNOUNCEMENT:
- POSITION: LEGAL DIRECTOR, DISABILITIES LAW PROGRAM (DLP) OF COMMUNITY LEGAL AID SOCIETY, INC.
- LOCATION: Any one of the three CLASI offices
- REPORTS TO: DLP Project Director
- SALARY: Depending on experience, plus management bump (this is considered a Managing Attorney position); excellent benefits.
- DEADLINE: Until filled
- CLASI strongly encourages interested candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply, including people of color, people with disabilities, women, people who are LGBTQ+, veterans, individuals who have immigrated to the United States, and people from other underrepresented groups. CLASI is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive workplace. Candidates are encouraged to share with us how they will add to our diversity.
- The Disabilities Law Program (DLP) provides free legal representation to children and adults with physical and mental disabilities to protect them from abuse and neglect and to advocate for their legal rights in the community (e.g., civil rights, educational services, medical services, housing, government benefits, treatment in the least restrictive environment). The DLP serves as Delaware’s Protection and Advocacy System for People with Disabilities (“P&A”). For more information about what a P&A is, see: https://youtu.be/m3vYxSe3s4M.
- The Legal Director of the DLP will provide advocacy leadership/coordination, legal supervision, and co-counsel support within the program. The Legal Director will supervise and coordinate the legal advocacy of attorney and advocacy staff working in the DLP throughout the state. The Legal Director will promote an appropriate mix of advocacy (e.g. litigation in judicial and administrative forums; legislative, regulatory, and committee work; community education), cultivate impact litigation, and support the Project Director with policy advocacy.
- Coordinate, supervise, mentor, and support legal advocacy of DLP staff statewide.
- Monitor DLP staff caseloads, management, and processing of cases to promote quality of representation.
- Oversee and provide direct representation in impact cases and co-counseling support to other DLP attorneys; maintain reduced individual caseload as needed.
- Participate in policy work and statewide councils, groups, and committees as delegated by the Project Director.
- Onboard new staff; plan, coordinate, and implement training to new and existing staff in conjunction with CLASI’s Advocacy Director.
- Coordinate the recruitment and assessment of applicants for DLP legal staff positions.
- Collaborate with the Project Director in developing and monitoring achievement of program priorities.
- Serve as a member of CLASI’s Senior Management and Leadership Teams and participate actively in other CLASI committees to support the good of the organization.
- Collaborate with staff across CLASI’s other programs to facilitate and enhance CLASI services.
- Fulfill any other reasonably related program duties delegated by the Project Director.
- Admitted to practice law and in good standing. If not admitted in Delaware, must be eligible for and willing to register to take the next scheduled Delaware Bar Examination.
- Minimum of five years’ experience as an attorney.
- Experience supervising staff or programs.
- Interest in and knowledge of the issues affecting individuals with disabilities.
- Ability to travel statewide and, at times, out-of-state for conferences.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends if needed for meetings and community education presentations.
- Successfully complete government clearance by the United States Government Office of Personnel Management. Clearance must be completed/obtained within the first 3 months of hire and other background checks as may be required by funders.
- Must complete COVID-19 primary vaccination series, booster, and bivalent booster (unless exemption applies).
APPLICATION: Provide letter of interest and résumé to: Marissa Band, at firstname.lastname@example.org
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
November 12, 2023
Community Legal Aid Society, Inc.
100 West Tenth Street Suite 801Wilmngton, DE 19801