Lead Immigration Attorney
Legal Aid Society has an opening for a VOCA Immigration Lead Attorney. This position will be located in our Nashville office and will serve the 48 county Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands service area. This attorney will provide legal representation and advice to immigrant victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual trauma, and stalking under the Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) grant. As a part of a holistic approach, representation may include administrative advocacy and community education for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility.
This position will serve as the VOCA Immigration project lead and will carry a caseload. Project lead will be responsible for supervising Immigration Unit staff and day-to-day operation of the Immigration Unit. The project lead will also be responsible for reporting as spelled out in the grant contract and for ensuring project goals and objectives are met. This position is funded in full by a VOCA grant from OCJP and the attorney must adhere to goals and outcomes spelled out in the grant contract.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Excellent benefits and loan forgiveness.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
- At least 3-5 years of demonstrated experience in immigration law. Experience in issues unique to victims of domestic violence desired.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law and the problems of disadvantaged communities.
- Admitted to practice law in Tennessee.
- Ability to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent relationship building, leadership and research skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and databases. Ability to learn new computer skills.
- Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
- Written and spoken bilingual skills a plus.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: VOCA Immigration Lead Attorney
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Rd, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.