Law Clerk (Supporting Families Workgroup- Part-Time Temporary)
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Law Clerk. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
- Position open to law students/grads, paralegals, paralegal students and undergraduates;
- Spanish or Khmer language skills highly preferred, but not required. Capacity in any other second language may be a plus in assisting persons from other language groups;
- Attention to detail and dependable;
- Experience or interest in working with immigrants; and
- Prior experience completing Immigration and Naturalization forms a plus.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Client screening and intake;
- Gather information needed to complete forms;
- Assist at naturalization workshops;
- Provide support to Naturalization Project by scanning/uploading documents into client files;
- Contact clients to confirm upcoming appointments for biometrics, interviews and oath ceremonies;
- Prepare applications under attorney supervision for immigration matters involving Naturalization, VAWA, T and U-Visa forms of relief;
- Update file docket sheets; and
- Occasional travel to other LAFLA offices to conduct client interviews.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Law Clerk-Supporting Families” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A six-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.