IT Specialist – Asheville
Hybrid remote work schedule: 3 days in office/field and 2 days remote from home
Base office in Asheville, NC
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance and other anti-poverty services to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, Spruce Pine, Rutherfordton, and Waynesville. With 120 dedicated staff, including more than 30 attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of 300 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Pisgah Legal Services is seeking a full-time in-house IT Specialist. This role will provide technology training for staff, helpdesk and IT operations support, and equipment management and tracking. The IT Support Specialist will work with PLS’s contracted IT vendor but will serve as the in-house IT technician for Pisgah Legal Services.
- Configure hardware including desktops, laptops, mobile devices, switches, wireless access points and other devices with network connections.
- Act as primary computer and technology support and systems troubleshooting technician for Pisgah Legal Services operations with secondary support from IT support vendor. This would include multiple sites across 18 counties in WNC.
- Provide networking support including troubleshooting with both wired and wireless network connections.
- Work with IT vendor to manage server administration including troubleshooting with servers; domain controllers, file servers, print servers, anti-virus, application servers, other server service appliances.
- Maintain relationships with managed service vendors and support escalation procedures with vendors.
- Follow standard IT operating procedures to ensure systems sustainability and support; communicate procedure improvements to management when opportunities arise.
- Ensure HIPAA compliance in all aspects of company operations and communications.
- Train staff in how to optimize the use of technology.
- Travel to different PLS locations as needed for troubleshooting or establishing new locations.
- Monitor and track PLS equipment and maintain equipment retention schedule.
- Work alongside HR to establish equipment and set up for new employees and collect and shut down accounts for exiting staff.
- Maintain confidentiality requirements.
- Participate in analyzing and shopping for new equipment and contracts and assist with budget planning.
- Learn internal case management software and other program software and serve as a backup as needed.
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- B.S. or B.A. Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Information Technology
- Must have experience with the following: SharePoint, Microsoft 365 and applications, Zoom, Adobe, Teams, VOIP phone platforms.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently.
- Detail-oriented, accurate and organized.
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Highly proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Valid driver’s license.
Salary ranges from $41,812 - $73,438 depending on experience.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay. Pisgah Legal Services is a Living Wage Certified Employer.
Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage the 1st of the month following the start date. Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) pays 100% of the Employee and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Medical and Dental coverage. PLS pays 50% of the Employee Coverage Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. PLS pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Paid Parental Leave, Paid Bereavement Leave, 13.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Paid Sabbatical Leave for eligible staff, Employee Assistance Program for entire household and a great working environment with work life balance!
Submit your online application with resume and cover letter through our Career Center located at https://www.pisgahlegal.org/jobs.
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.
Please see Job Description.
Please see Job Description.