IT Service Desk Manager
For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
The IT Service Desk Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operation of Legal Aid Chicago’s Information Technology Service Desk to ensure that our technology meets the needs of our staff. The IT Service Desk Manager reports to the Director of IT and supervises the Computer Specialists.
The IT Service Desk Manager coordinates the efficient and effective information technology support operations for Legal Aid Chicago and Legal Action Chicago. This position plans, assigns, and directs work; documents and gains approval for all service desk support procedures and system documentation; and assists team members in answering calls, addressing service or escalation issues, and applies independent decision making to resolve and/or escalate problems as necessary. The IT Service Desk Manager develops regular reports on service desk contacts, ensures that service levels are met, identifies trends and makes recommendations for service improvements, including technology education for all staff, and provides budgetary recommendations to management for service growth and/or improvement. The IT Service Desk Manager will assist with providing the technology education to the organization including, but not limited to, writing documentation, producing instructional videos, and leading in-person and remote training sessions.
Responsibilities without limitation:
Manage IT Service Desk
- Manage the activities of Computer Specialists, both to directly support end users and to assist with IT department directives.
- Directly supervise, recruit, train, and support Service Desk staff and evaluate their performance.
- Follow up with customers to identify areas of improvement.
- Develop an effective and workable framework for managing and improving IT support. Identify situations that may require additional support or escalation.
- Ensure that technical support customer service is timely, accurate and that the support team adheres to specific customer services standards.
- Assist with developing and continually updating service level agreements (SLAs) for the service desk and administration team.
- Review, develop, and implement IT guidelines and devise new organizational systems as needed.
Resolve Service Desk Escalations and After-Hours Support
- Assist the IT staff with providing service desk functions, e.g. answer staff questions and solve complex computer problems.
- If IT technicians or system/network administrators are unable to successfully resolve a user’s issue, assess the situation and assist with devising a solution to the problem.
- Provide after-hours support when necessary.
Technology Education / Training
- Conduct new employee IT onboarding.
- Conduct basic training for applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, Office 365.
- Work with departments to understand training needs, and identify educational sessions, documentation, and other resources to assist staff.
- Assist with production of instructional videos, FAQs, How-To’s, end user guides, and documentation.
- Assist with communications about technology education resources to staff.
- Identify additional educational session needs (by surveying internal departments, reviewing support tickets, etc.) and propose outlines.
- Coordinate and communicate with the Supervisor of Training on training delivery.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- 5+ years' experience in a user and systems support role.
- Experience managing a service desk support team.
- Experience in customer-service with a problem-solving attitude.
- Ability to respond to service desk escalations in a professional and courteous manner.
- Solid technical background with an ability to give instructions to a non-technical audience.
- Experience presenting to large groups in an in-person and remote environment.
- Exceptional organizational skill with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and very good listening skills.
- Ability to utilize effective leadership skills in daily interactions with their team members.
- Understanding of Active Directory, Exchange, Microsoft/Office 365 and Azure AD.
- HDI / ITIL 4 Certifications preferred.
- Appreciation of the importance of civil legal aid and the civil justice system, commitment to Legal Aid Chicago’s mission of equal justice for low-income people.
Education: Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Send your cover letter, resume, and the contact information of two professional references to: email@example.com. Please place “IT Service Desk Manager” in the subject line of your e-mail. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. No phone calls, please.