Intake Paralegal (Housing) – Client Intake Workgroup
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Intake Paralegal.
Examples of Duties:
- Interview, advise, and provide limited legal services to clients under the direct supervision of a licensed attorney;
- Respond timely to requests for legal assistance submitted via telephone, online intake, and walk-in applications;
- Travel to other offices or sites periodically to participate in clinics/meet with clients;
- Assist walk-in applicants and cover the front desk, as needed;
- Collaborate effectively as part of a team that includes attorneys, paralegals, support staff, volunteers and students;
- Participate in community outreach projects; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- A four (4) year college degree or Paralegal Certificate;
- One (1) year relevant work experience preferred;
- Experience interviewing individuals in crisis and/or providing assistance to individuals who have low-income;
- Some knowledge of Landlord/Tenant law preferred;
- Excellent customer service, and written and verbal communication skills;
- Self-motivated, organized, and ability to manage a high-volume caseload;
- Comfortable with case management systems and other technology; and
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Intake Paralegal – Housing” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A nine-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
VACCINATION POLICY AND COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
LAFLA requires all staff, including new hires, to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law, unless doing so would pose an undue hardship. Staff will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.