Intake Paralegal (Client Intake Workgroup)
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Paralegal. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit lafla.org.
- A four (4) year degree or Paralegal Certificate;
- One (1) year relevant work experience preferred;
- Experience in providing assistance to the poverty population, including experience in interviewing clients;
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: Housing Law, Family Law, Immigration Law, Government Benefits and/or Employment Law;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to be flexible in job duties;
- Organized, with ability to work on high-volume caseload;
- Comfortable with case management systems and other technology; and
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Interview and counsel clients;
- Provide limited service to clients;
- Respond to requests for assistance submitted via telephone, online intake, and walk-in applications;
- Travel to other offices or sites periodically to participate in clinics/meet with clients;
- Work in conjunction with staff attorneys in cases that involve housing, family, immigration, government benefits, employment law and other legal issues;
- Work effectively as part of a team that includes attorneys, support staff, volunteers and students;
- Participate in community outreach projects; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to at email@example.com. Include “Intake Paralegal” in the subject line.
Probationary Period: A nine-month probationary period will be required.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.