Immigration Staff Attorney
Project Description: The Citizenship Project at The Legal Aid Society of Mid-NY, Inc. provides legal education, advice and representation to immigrants seeking to become United States citizens through the naturalization process. The full-time attorney being sought will focus on elder and disabled refugees who face obstacles to the naturalization process. The attorney will also work under a Department of Justice VAWA grant representing victims of domestic violence in VAWA self-petitions and corresponding adjustments of status, battered spouse waivers, and U and T cases.
Job Responsibilities: Provide complete representation to clients in USCIS applications, interviews and related administrative proceedings, give advice and counsel when complete representation is not appropriate, and provide community legal education to the diverse immigrant communities throughout the LASMNY service area and to the regional network of immigrant/refugee service providers. Develop legal education materials and workshops on the naturalization process and the immigration benefits available to victims of domestic violence.
· Admission in any U.S. jurisdiction
· Commitment to serving indigent community members
· 3-5 years of immigration law experience preferred (clinical experience will be considered)
· A high level of cultural competency
· Ability to work with sensitivity and patience towards victims of trauma and the developmentally disabled
· Ability to speak a foreign language strongly preferred
Please send resume, professional references, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org