Immigration Practice Legal Director
WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1966, CRLA’s mission is to fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of our society. Through a network of regional offices and cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to over 43,000 low-income people annually. Our work impacts farmworkers, individuals with disabilities, immigrant populations, LGBT communities, women, children and families in rural areas.
- Position: Immigration Practice Legal Director
- Experience: At least 5 years' experience practicing immigration law
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Location: Any CRLA Office
- Term of Employment: Regular, Full-Time
- Other: FLSA Exempt, Non-Union Position
The Immigration Practice Legal Director will be responsible for shaping and growing the organization’s Immigration practice and its’ vision, direction, and initiatives throughout California. This includes the delivery of high-quality legal services and, as a subject matter expert, the development of immigration expertise throughout the organization. This role will work in close collaboration with CRLA’s leadership team members and designated advocates throughout the state.
- Develop and implement CRLA’s Five Year Immigration strategic plan with the primary objective of strengthening delivery of the current immigration services and assessing the feasibility of expansion.
- Oversee and coordinate the delivery of high-quality immigration legal services.
- Develop criteria for all aspects of case management to ensure uniform management of immigration matters
- As needed, develop the necessary infrastructure to support local and coordinated immigration advocacy
- Conduct immigration legal services case review to allow for continual monitoring and supervision of immigration cases throughout the organization
- Develop and/or provide resources and professional development opportunities that strengthen immigration knowledge for all team members
- Mentor and support team members providing immigration legal services
- Orient, develop and supervise pro-bono attorneys, volunteers, and interns in support of immigration matters.
- Collaborate with CRLA’s Development & Communication Department to define priorities, identify funding needs, and create media efforts in support of outreach and/or immigration rights
- Maintain statistics and metrics related to CRLA’s statewide immigration efforts and impact
- Collaborate with community, legal, education and government agencies to advance CRLA’s immigration advocacy and community leadership development efforts
- Work on advocacy efforts to further CRLA’s immigration work
- Carry a small immigration caseload to directly engage in and lead systemic advocacy
- Ensure that CRLA’s Immigration Practice work complies with Legal Services Corporation regulations
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience practicing immigration law with experiences processing U- and T-Visas, VAWA applications, Notices to Appear, and/or Removal/Deportation Proceedings
- Bilingual abilities in Spanish and English
- Proven ability to organize and supervise the case work and advocacy of team members
- Demonstrated ability to interact constructively with diverse populations and team members
- Willingness to participate and support development/funding efforts to support immigration practice
- Demonstration or commitment to working with low-income, marginalized and diverse populations
- Adept at tracking, maintaining and reporting statistics to funders
- Willingness and ability to travel approximately 35% of the time
Preferred Education and Experience:
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Admitted to the California Bar
- Experience in supervising others, preferably in a legal services environment
- Ability to develop and implement innovative service delivery models with limited resources
- Experience in the non-profit or public sectors
- Fluency in an additional language
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary DOE; Generous benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan contribution. Fourteen (14) paid Holidays, generous vacation and sick leave policy, some professional dues paid by CRLA and if qualified - participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program (LRAP).
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.
or send your Resume and Cover Letter to: