Human Resources Officer
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $8 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Highlands/Cashiers and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of ninety-six, including thirty-four attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Nature of Position: Work in the Asheville office or one the other PLS offices as part of the human resources team and the entire legal aid staff to support expanding free legal assistance to help a growing number of very low-income people each year to solve problems related to basic needs, particularly housing, domestic violence, health care, and insufficient income. The human resources officer will assist with recruitment, administration of fringe benefits, and handle other human resources functions in support of the PLS’ mission and commitment to advancing equity and inclusion throughout the organization.
- Work with the human resources team to ensure that PLS recruits and retains a diverse professional staff to operate an essential community-based non-profit law firm.
- Assist the Director of Human Resources to maintain beneficial working conditions for firm members.
- In collaboration with the Director of Human Resources and PLS Management, build strong relationships with PLS staff to drive awareness, commitment and accountability for the employee experience and diversity, equity and inclusion action plans across the organization.
- Assist the Director of Human Resources and PLS Management with equity, diversity, and inclusion programming for the firm.
- Help to administer PLS’ generous fringe benefits.
- Help to administer and document efforts to improve the quality of work of members of the firm.
- Provide back-up and redundancy for certain HR and office administration functions.
- Keep current on best practices in HR through professional development emerging issues and trends in EDI work and in collaboration with Director of Human Resources makes recommendations as there are opportunities.
Salary $35,269 - $65,974 based on years of experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k), as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- College major or related certification in HR matters.
- Experience or education in EDI programming.
- Highly skilled at facilitating small to large group discussions
- Experience in conflict resolution
- Experience using an applicant tracking system
- Self-motivated, able to work independently
- Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Highly proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Valid driver’s license
- Non-profit experience an asset but not essential
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.