Human Resources Manager
Pine Tree Legal Assistance
Human Resources Manager
Location: Augusta office; Hybrid remote
The Human Resources Manager is primarily responsible for all aspects of hiring, recruiting, compensation infrastructure, including overseeing payroll, benefits administration, and retirement plan compliance and administration, and overseeing compliance with FMLA and other labor laws. The HR Manager coordinates the hiring and onboarding of new staff and oversees the payroll and benefits administration work done by the Finance and HR Coordinator. The HR Manager supports Pine Tree employees while ensuring compliance with personnel policies and state and federal law.
The HR Manager will promote diversity, equity, and inclusion best practices and counter implicit bias in the workplace. The HR Manager will work with senior management and staff to promote an inclusive culture at PTLA.
This position is based in the Augusta office location and reports to the Finance Director. Other PTLA offices could be considered as a base office for the right candidate.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure that all personnel policies and human resources practices are administered appropriately and consistently and that PTLA is in compliance with all relevant laws. Maintain awareness of upcoming changes in state and federal regulations affecting human resources and prepare PTLA for anticipated changes
- Coordinate recruitment, hiring, and retention activities to ensure a talented, diverse, engaged workforce committed to the organization’s mission; manage onboarding and exiting of personnel
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law
- Oversee payroll processing; ensure all payroll changes are added timely and accurately; that records are prepared for payroll processor to ensure accurate annual reporting for W2s, 1095’s etc.; oversee maintenance of payroll records and updates for changes in employee status, wages, benefits.
- Oversee administration of benefits plans, including benefits enrollments, changes, terminations, COBRA administration, and maintaining and handling compliance-related forms. This includes medical benefits as well as retirement plan benefits. Additionally, the HR Manager will work with the Finance Director to review plans annually and coordinate open enrollment for benefits plans
- Primarily responsible for the retirement plan compliance and annual audit
- Oversee the maintenance of personnel records, schedules, and charts related to personnel, such as union membership, salary/benefits records, and seniority charts
- Oversee the administration of leave time and timekeeping records in case management system
- Oversee wage and data reporting, such as ACA and federal labor reports, worker compensation audit, and other required audits and reports
Applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field preferred, or equivalent work experience. HR Certification preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience working in Human Resources preferred, including some experience at a level involving policy development and implementation.
- Experience with and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion best practices and countering implicit bias in the workplace.
- Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Experience in a unionized program preferred.
- Some accounting background a plus.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Commitment to the program’s mission and core values.
- Capacity to work collegially and effectively with staff throughout the program.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in work.
- Ability to create and maintain necessary systems to support work, staff, and program.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and to prioritize work as needed.
- Strong computer proficiency and the ability to use/learn payroll software.
- Desire to contribute to and maintain Pine Tree’s high standards for excellence.
This is an exempt position that reports to the Finance Director.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for PTLA attorneys and other exempt staff is currently $64,870 - $101,870, depending on experience.
In addition, PTLA is proud to offer the following:
Employer-paid health insurance with a generous HRA contribution, generous health insurance opt-out benefit, employer-paid dental insurance, employer-paid life and disability insurance, and an annual contribution to a 403(b) retirement plan. Other voluntary options include vision and expanded life insurance. Staff enjoy 12 paid holidays, paid parental leave, and generous vacation, floating holidays, and sick leave.
Pine Tree Legal Assistance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to employing and supporting individuals who are passionate about social justice and have relevant work experience, regardless of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, religion, familial status or experience with poverty, receipt of public assistance, or homelessness.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and three professional references. Please apply online at: https://ptla.bamboohr.com/careers/37?source=aWQ9Mjc%3D