Human Resources Director
Pine Tree Legal Assistance, a nonprofit legal aid provider serving Mainers with low incomes, is hiring a Human Resources Director.
The Human Resources Director is primarily responsible for all aspects of payroll, health and other benefits, maintenance of personnel records and other HR documents, and overseeing compliance with FMLA and other labor laws. Additionally, the HR Director coordinates the hiring and onboarding of new staff. The HR Director supports Pine Tree employees while ensuring compliance with personnel policies and state and federal law.
This position is based in Pine Tree’s Augusta office location. Other PTLA offices could be considered as a base office for the right candidate.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure all personnel policies and human resources practices are administered appropriately and consistently and that PTLA is in compliance with all relevant laws. Maintain awareness of upcoming changes in state and federal regulations affecting human resources and prepare PTLA for anticipated changes.
- Process payroll; ensure all payroll changes are added timely and accurately; prepare records for payroll processor to ensure accurate annual reporting for W2s, 1095’s etc.; maintain payroll records and updates for changes in employee status, wages, benefits.
- Administer benefits plans, including benefits enrollments, changes, terminations, COBRA administration, and maintaining and handling compliance-related forms. This includes medical benefits as well as retirement plan benefits. Additionally, the HR Director will work with the Finance Director to review plans annually and coordinate open enrollment for benefits plans.
- Maintain personnel records, schedules, and charts related to personnel, such as union membership, salary/benefits records, and seniority charts.
- Administer leave time; administer timekeeping records in case management system.
- Oversee wage and data reporting, such as ACA and federal labor reports, worker compensation audit, and other required audits and reports.
- Maintain employment policies.
- Coordinate recruitment, hiring, and retention activities to ensure a talented, diverse, engaged workforce committed to the organization’s mission; manage onboarding and exiting of personnel.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
This is an exempt position that reports to the Finance Director. Salary is based on the PTLA attorney scale. The salary range for the attorney scale in 2020 is $52,750-$89,750, depending on experience. Pine Tree offers for a generous benefit and leave package.
Applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field, or equivalent work experience. HR Certification preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience working in Human Resources, including some experience at a level involving policy development and implementation.
- Experience with and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion best practices and countering implicit bias in the workplace.
- Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Experience in a unionized program preferred.
- Some accounting background a plus.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Commitment to the program’s mission and core values.
- Capacity to work collegially and effectively with staff throughout the program.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in work.
- Ability to create and maintain necessary systems to support work, staff, and program.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and to prioritize work as needed.
- Strong computer proficiency and the ability to use/learn payroll software.
- Desire to contribute to and maintain Pine Tree’s high standards for excellence.