Legal Aid Society has an immediate opening for an Attorney in its Clarksville office. The Staff Attorney provides legal
representation to income-eligible clients with a focus on home retention includes landlord-tenant issues and homeowner
issues. Federal income tax issues and fair housing discrimination issues. As part of a holistic approach, representation may
include administrative advocacy, litigation in state and federal courts, and community education for clients in accordance
with LAS’ guidelines and priorities and the Rules of Professional Conduct. This position is funded in part by, and in
collaboration with, one or more grants. Personnel must adhere to goals and outcomes detailed in the grant contract. This
position is funded for the duration of the grant and subsequent renewal may result in modification of job duties and
Who We Are
Legal Aid Society’s mission is to advance, defend, and enforce the legal rights of low-income and vulnerable people in order to secure for
them the basic necessities of life. Our staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal
income taxation, health advocacy, non-profit group representation, social security, and special education.
- Juris Doctor (JD).
- Admitted to practice in Tennessee, eligible for admission through reciprocity, or willing to take first available bar examination.
- Excellent research, writing, and advocacy skills including the ability to advocate in a clear, effective and logical manner both orally and in writing.
- Prioritize work, plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Basic proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel).
- Use a high level of professionalism, diplomacy, and sound judgment.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the principle of equal justice and to advocacy for low-income persons.
- Treat clients, staff, and the public with dignity and respect.
- Appreciate the experiences and needs of people of diverse economic, social, and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrate a personal sense of integrity.
- Take ownership of projects and produce solid work products.
- Work as a member of a team and independently including willingness to help others (cooperative) and share knowledge, information, contacts, and experience.
- Address issues in a timely manner
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references (with email addresses and phone numbers) to our Hiring Manager at email@example.com. Subject line should read: re: Clarksville Housing Attorney