Virginia Legal Aid Society seeks an energetic, creative housing attorney in our Suffolk office. The attorney would be part of a vibrant four attorney team providing legal solutions for low-income residents in our area. The position includes both individual case representation and ongoing systemic advocacy in our community.
Under the direction of a Managing Attorney, a Virginia Legal Aid Society (VLAS) Housing Attorney plans, organizes and carries out the delivery of legal services to VLAS individual and group clients who present problems with eviction, foreclosure, housing conditions, and housing affordability. Evictions in particular are a major focus at this time in light of the losses of income caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The work will include:
- Preparation of client cases to be brought before state and federal courts.
- Representation of clients before the appropriate forum, with co-counseling by more- experienced attorney when necessary.
- Post-trial follow-up and/or closure of cases after settlement has been reached.
- Outreach and education to tenants, community partners and the public on housing issues.
- Performance of other related duties and assignments as required.
DUTIES: With reference to VLAS and American Bar Association standards for legal practice, the Housing Attorney will:
- Confirm client eligibility using standard VLAS eligibility guidelines.
- Establish the initial facts surrounding each case;
- interview clients.
- collect data from other appropriate sources including agencies, doctors, lawyers, etc.
- visit appropriate agencies to check client files.
- prepare written fact summaries.
- maintain client files, documents, records and all other appropriate material to case according to VLAS procedures.
- Prepare all aspects of the case for presentation before the appropriate forum:
- research statutes, case law, and administrative procedure applicable to the case.
- draft, revise and/or finalize all necessary case documents including pleadings, briefs, discovery, notices, motions, and appropriate correspondence.
- counsel clients; review case prior to hearings and trials.
Until the Managing Attorney finds pre-filing review of all court documents and co-counseling unnecessary, all pleadings, briefs, notices and motions must be reviewed by the Managing Attorney or another experienced attorney before filing, and all hearings and trials must be conducted with the Managing Attorney or other experienced attorney as co-counsel.
- Represent clients before appropriate forums including:
- pretrial negotiations or other proceedings
- agency and court hearings and trials
- Prepare appeals where appropriate and represent clients in the appeals process before the appropriate forum, with the Managing Attorney or other experienced attorney as co-counsel.
- Prepare all necessary memos, summary sheets, documents, and other appropriate correspondence for closing the case.
- Attend training and task forces meetings relevant to his or her area of practice and Virginia MCLE requirements.
- Provide outreach and community legal education services to the area low-income community.
- Serve in VLAS practice groups and committees; participate in VLAS planning and and assist in implementing adopted priorities and procedures.
- Assist the Managing Attorney in maintaining relations with local bar associations and other community groups and organizations.
- Report to the Managing Attorney regularly and coordinate with the Managing Attorney on performance of all duties and responsibilities.
- Perform all other related duties and assignments.
- Complete activity reports for funding sources and timekeeping reports.
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Hiring Salary Range:
Staff Attorney: $52,000 - $60,000
Senior Attorney: $57,000 - $68,000
VLAS offers a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance; an employer funded health reimbursement account for medical deductible expenses; short- and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; and a loan repayment assistance program.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and reference list to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
VLAS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions including lactation, or any other consideration prohibited by law.