American Samoa Legal Aid, Inc. is seeking an Executive Director to lead our non-profit law firm that provides free civil legal services to low-income residents of American Samoa. The office is located in Pago Pago, American Samoa.
About the Position
American Samoa Legal Aid, Inc. (ASLA) seeks an experienced leader who is passionate about providing excellent and effective civil legal aid to low-income residents of American Samoa. This leader will work with a diverse and dedicated Board of Directors and staff of seven other employees.
High priority roles and responsibilities for the Executive Director
- Provide visionary leadership and direction for ASLA
- Carry out the policies and priorities of ASLA's Board of Directors
- Provide fiscal oversight for the program, making sure all fiscal controls are in place
- Supervise staff
- Provide legal representation to eligible clients
- Raise funds for the organization, including submitting funding applications to governments, foundations and corporations.
- Ensure compliance with all funder requirements and accurate reporting to all funders.
- Articulate ASLA’s mission in the legal community, judiciary, government, nonprofit organizations and the community at large.
- Admitted to practice law before the court of any U.S. state or territory for a minimum of five years.
- Admitted to practice law in American Samoa or become eligible to practice law in American Samoa.
- Minimum of five years experience as an attorney practicing law.
- Proven ability to lead, motivate and manage a legal firm, legal department or legal aid program with diverse staff and clients, or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience with fiscal oversight of a program, law firm, company or government entity, for at least three years, or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience working with a board of directors in a non-profit or legal services environment, or equivalent experience, is preferable.
- Prior experience in successful fundraising in a non-profit or legal services environment, or equivalent experience, is preferable.
- Familiarity with Legal Services Corporation regulations is preferable.
- Ability to speak and write both English and Samoan will be favorably considered.
- Experience working in American Samoa and knowledge of, and respect for, the cultural practices of American Samoa will be favorably considered.
- Experience working in a pacific island community will be favorably considered.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. In order to receive full consideration, however, candidates are urged to submit their applications by Friday, March 5, 2021, at 4:00 p.m. American Samoa time. Interested candidates should submit a letter expressing in detail why they are interested in the position of Executive Director of American Samoa Legal Aid, as well as what they believe they can contribute to the future of the program and its client community. The letter should be accompanied by a current resume and names and contact information of three references.
Materials should be submitted electronically to Larry Sanitoa, President, American Samoa Legal Aid, at firstname.lastname@example.org. ASLA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, or on the basis of any other protected category. ASLA encourages candidates with disabilities, women, persons of color and others who represent distinct linguistic, cultural, and other communities to apply.