Hybrid remote work schedule: 3 days in office/field and 2 days remote
Base office in Asheville, NC
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton. With over 100 dedicated staff, including over 30 attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of nearly 300 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to over 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS is seeking a full-time Executive Assistant to support the Executive Director and Chief Operations Officer. This position will assist with a variety of executive administrative tasks including Executive Board support and some support for facilities management.
Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous staff member and a team-player, and a demonstrated commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important in this work.
Support for Executive Director (ED) & Chief of Operations (COO)
- Coordinate heavy calendar management requiring interaction with both internal and external leaders and the preparation, gathering and distribution of supporting materials.
- Prioritize inquires and requests while trouble shooting conflicts.
- Email organization and management.
- Daily contact with senior staff, managers, and peers as well as key donors, volunteers and members of the local business, nonprofit, and faith community.
- Design and produce reports, dashboards, and presentations for meetings with staff and outside parties.
- Draft communications on behalf of ED and COO both for internal and external constituents.
- Manage special projects in partnership with ED or other senior staff members.
- Arrange travel as needed.
- Other administrative tasks as assigned by ED and COO.
Board of Directors Support
- Arrange and handle all logistics for Board of Directors and Board Committee meetings and events: schedule meetings; draft agendas; develop, compile, distribute pre-meeting materials, assemble presentation, and manage logistics for in-person meetings (ordering food, setting up the room, etc).
- Ensure the safety and accuracy of all Board records and minutes, provides notice of meetings of the Board and Committees.
- Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding Board matters.
- Prepare minutes of Board meetings and committee meetings.
- Track Board and Committee members' volunteer hours in Legal Server.
- Update and maintain the annual Board Manual.
- Update and maintain Board and Committees’ email lists.
Other duties as needed and assigned
Salary ranges from $43,058 – $67,953 depending on experience.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of comparable professional work experience to ensure equity in pay. Pisgah Legal Services is a Living Wage Certified Employer.
Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage the 1st of the month following the start date. Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) pays 100% of the Employee and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Medical and Dental coverage. PLS pays 50% of the Employee Coverage Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. PLS pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Paid Parental Leave, 12.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Paid Sabbatical Leave for eligible staff, Employee Assistance Program for entire household and a great working environment with work life balance! Our complete benefits guide is available at: https://www.flipsnack.com/5de6a5a7c6f/pisgah-legal-services-2022-benefits-guide/full-view.html
COVID-19 Safety Information:
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Pisgah Legal Services has worked tirelessly to promote evidence-based practices across our entire organization. With this in mind, as of January 4th, all Pisgah employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine. Employees who are unvaccinated or have an approved exemption will be required to provide verified weekly COVID-19 test results. We currently have COVID-19 safety precautions in place.
- Passion for and commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- A.S. or A.A. degree or equivalent lived experience preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of previous experience as Administrative/Executive Assistant.
- Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and the ability to work with someone who is angry, upset, or ill.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and Outlook.
- Consistent and reliable attendance with the ability to work onsite at the Charlotte Street office in Asheville.
- Availability to work Monday to Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm.
- Possess valid driver’s license.
Submit your online application with resume and cover letter through our Career Center located at https://www.pisgahlegal.org/jobs
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.