Elder Law Attorney
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS is working towards an annual budget of $11 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Newland, Spruce Pine, Highlands/Cashiers and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of ninety-nine, including thirty-four attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS is seeking a full-time N.C. licensed attorney to handle general poverty law cases primarily in the areas of housing law, public benefits, consumer, and elder law, focusing on clients aged 60 and older in western North Carolina. Legal aid experience would be helpful. Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous attorney and a team-player and being committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important.
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- Represent and advise clients in judicial and administrative hearings in landlord/tenant, foreclosure, consumer, public benefits and other poverty law areas as needed.
- Conduct client interviews with trauma-informed approach; advise and represent clients in Small Claims, District and Superior courts or administrative proceedings as appropriate. (This may include representation, preparation for self-representation, obtaining continuances for assessment, and referring cases to other attorneys.)
- Document all work in Legal Server case management software.
- Organize and conduct outreach and educational presentations.
- Develop and maintain community relationships including other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
- Travel within our service area and also to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
- Adhere to program priorities and case handling policies, procedures and standards of practice, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards.
- Keep abreast of developments in the law and disseminate information to staff, volunteer attorneys and the public.
- Work with volunteers, including volunteer attorneys, on a regular basis.
- Assist in fundraising in coordination with PLS Development Team.
- Position will work with multiple PLS programs.
Salary ranges from $50,310 – $95,434 depending on experience.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay. Pisgah Legal Services is a Living Wage Certified Employer in 18 WNC counties: Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Clay, Cherokee, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, McDowell, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Swain, Transylvania and Yancey.
Pisgah Legal Services Pays 100% of the Employee Only and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBSNC Medical and Dental coverage. Pisgah Legal Services 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. Employees are eligible for medical, dental and vision coverage the 1st of the month following the hire date. Pisgah Legal Services Pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan with Company Matching available after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Paid Parental Leave, 12.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Employee Assistance Program and a great working environment with work life balance!
COVID-19 Safety Information:
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Pisgah Legal Services has worked tirelessly to promote evidence-based practices across our entire organization. With this in mind, as of January 4th, all Pisgah employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine. Employees who are unvaccinated or have an approved exemption will be required to provide verified weekly COVID-19 test results. We currently have COVID-19 safety precautions in place such as working remotely as our business allows, requiring face masks while meeting with clients or co-workers, providing outdoor meeting areas to meet with clients while wearing masks, limiting onsite visits by meeting virtually or by phone with clients. Pisgah Legal Services also conducts temperature checks at our location upon arrival.
- N.C. licensed attorney
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities.
- Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and ability to assist upset or ill people.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.