Economic Recovery Program Volunteer Coordinator
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $8 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Highlands/Cashiers and Marshall. With a dedicated and growing staff of ninety-six, including thirty-six attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, income, immigration, and consumer law.
Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous staff member and a team player and demonstrating commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important to this challenging role. By ensuring that the lowest-income people in Western North Carolina have increased incomes and access to health care, we will increase opportunities for positive outcomes at the individual and community levels.
Nature of Position: The Volunteer Coordinator will be supervised by the Director of Systems, Training and Compliance and work in the Asheville office or one of the other PLS offices to recruit, orient, training, support and follow up with volunteers in the newly expanded Economic Recovery Program to (a) boost the rate of insured low-income people and (b) reduce the number of children living below the federal poverty line across the 18 westernmost counties of N.C. The role will include recruiting, training, scheduling, and retention of volunteer health insurance Navigators and Tax Preparers.
- Track and respond to volunteer inquiries in a timely manner.
- Schedule and conduct volunteer interviews.
- Schedule and arrange training/orientation for new volunteers.
- Schedule and facilitate volunteer group trainings/information sessions.
- Prepare and coordinate volunteer tax preparation and ACA appointment calendars.
- Coordinate outreach to volunteer organizations to recruit new volunteers.
- Work with program directors on capacity and volunteer performance.
- Track volunteer hours volunteers across different regions and potentially partnering with other organizations.
- Seek out and attend trainings and continuing education for job-related topics.
- Train and maintain current certification as both a Certified Application Counselor/Navigator and a VITA Tax Preparer.
- Other duties as assigned
Salary ranges from $31,120 – $48,339 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- Experience in volunteer coordination.
- Aptitude for working in database systems.
- Experience with organization and tracking and filing information.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively with in a variety of nonprofit and health care stakeholders.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Detail-oriented, accurate and organized.
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Highly proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Valid driver’s license.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to email@example.com.
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.