Disability Rights Staff Attorney
Disability Rights DC (DRDC) at University Legal Services is seeking a full-time Disability Rights Staff Attorney. DRDC is non-profit public interest law firm that serves as the federally-mandated Protection and Advocacy Program for people with disabilities in the District of Columbia. The Staff Attorney will provide representation to individuals with disabilities seeking employment supports from the DC Rehabilitation Services Administration (DCRSA) and SSI and SSDI recipients who face barriers to employment (i.e..employment discrimination, denial of reasonable accommodations in training and educational programs, overpayment notices from SSA due to employment income). The Staff Attorney will also work under our Protection and Advocacy for Voting Access grant.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Representing clients to address concerns about vocational supports provided by DCRSA, and discrimination in employment and in vocational or educational programs. This representation includes practice before the DC Office of Administrative Hearings, the EEOC and the D.C. Office of Human Rights.
- Representing clients in disputes regarding overpayments before the Social Security Administration.
- Advocating on behalf of people with disabilities to ensure their full participation in all aspects of the voting process and monitoring compliance with the Help America Vote Act.
- Conducting outreach and education to people with disabilities, community groups, advocates and others stakeholders regarding the rights and services available to people with disabilities.
- Participating in the development of policies affecting the vocational services provided to people with disabilities, including serving as a member of the D.C. State Rehabilitation Council, commenting on proposed changes to policies and regulations and testifying before City Council regarding the quality of D.C.’s vocational supports.
- Required: JD degree from an accredited law school.
- Required: Admitted to practice law in the District of Columbia or eligible for admission.
- Required: Demonstrated interest in public interest work and/or the civil rights of people with disabilities.
- Required: Effective written, oral communication and problem-solving skills.
- Preferred: At least two years of experience doing direct client representation, strong preference for experience working with people with disabilities.
- Preferred: Experience representing clients in administrative hearings.
- Preferred: Familiarity with the District of Columbia, including local government agencies, public interest organizations and community resources.
Salary: Competitive public interest salary. Benefits including employer-paid health insurance for employees and their family and generous vacation, sick and personal leave.
DRDC staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and submit proof of such vaccinations. All staff currently are required to wear masks in the office, when interacting with other staff or clients. DRDC allows employees to work remotely two days per week.
Because of the advocacy involving the Social Security Administration and that grant’s requirements, the attorney is required to pass a federal criminal background check.
DRDC is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, political belief, creed, national origin, marital status, or disability. We value diversity of culture, disability and other life experiences.
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to: Sandy Bernstein, Legal Director at email@example.com. Please write Disability Rights Staff Attorney in the subject line of the email.