Disability Justice Staff Attorney
CLS is seeking a Disability Justice Staff Attorney. The Disability Justice Staff Attorney will represent clients with serious disabilities in administrative hearings and federal court. The attorney will also engage in cutting edge systemic advocacy, including class action litigation, to challenge policies that hurt people with disabilities nationwide.
CLS is seeking applicants with trial advocacy or other oral advocacy experience. Supervisory experience is also strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will have a passion for challenging injustice in large bureaucracies, including the Social Security, behavioral health, medical, and education systems, to ensure that people with disabilities are treated fairly and can access the supports they need.
This position is located within CLS’s SSI Unit. The SSI Unit’s core work focuses on helping individuals with serious disabilities qualify for and keep Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA) – but the Unit does much more than that. The Unit uses a holistic representation model, incorporating social workers and other non-attorney advocates, to ensure that clients can access medical care, school supports, and other resources that stabilize their lives. Attorneys and non-attorney advocates fight for policy and other reforms at the national, state, and local levels, to improve the lives of CLS clients and other people with serious disabilities.
CLS prioritizes cases for people who have significant barriers to navigating systems, including individuals with serious behavioral health conditions, including trauma; individuals who are limited English proficient; and children.
CLS seeks applicants with the following qualifications:
- Excellent negotiation and analytical skills;
- Excellent client interviewing skills;
- Excellent legal research and writing skills;
- Litigation experience;
- Experience and interest in legislative and administrative advocacy and other policymaking;
- Experience and interest in community education and outreach;
- Excellent work ethic, organization, and communication skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest work;
- Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations;
- Illustrated, high level commitment to racial justice;
- Sound professional and legal judgment; and
- Experience supervising others.
CLS will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. You can submit your application on CLS’s website online at: https://clsphila.org/careers/ OR https://clsphiladelphia.applytojob.com/apply/Tknj3NvJhy/SSI-Unit-Disability-Justice-Staff-Attorney