Director of Training & Recruitment
Texas Legal Services Center’s (TLSC) Director of Training & Recruitment (DTR) will bring enthusiasm and commitment to TLSC’s mission and values. The DTR will demonstrate trust, leadership, service, and courage, serving as a member of TLSC’s Executive Management Team.
The DTR will create and implement a strategic plan to recruit and support diverse advocates who will further TLSC’s mission to ensure equal justice for all Texans, and will identify and cultivate training opportunities for staff, pro bono attorneys, law students, and paralegals. The DTR will collaborate with the entire leadership team, working closely with Programs, Human Resources, and Development.
This is a grant funded position.
- Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards as a member of the State Bar, adhere to the American Bar Association Standards for the Provision of Civil Legal Aid; embrace and support TLSC’s overall mission; and comply with all grant requirements, regulations, standards, policies, and confidentiality requirements.
- Identify and develop training needs and programs, with and for, staff and volunteers related to confidentiality, conflict screening, ethics, public benefits, poverty law, case management, case review, quality control standards, the annual Self-Assessment Report (SAR), diversity, equity, inclusion, cultural humility, and other needs.
- Review recruitment, retention and promotion of attorneys and staff to measure effectiveness of recruitment and retention strategies at the end of each fiscal year with HR and executive team.
- Leverage TLSC staff who are alumni of target law schools and diverse bar associations to help build relationships and pipelines at the respective schools and organizations.
- Assist with administration and analysis of the quarterly and annual SARs, development and maintenance of case management and quality control standards.
- Through training and recruitment opportunities, provide direction and leadership toward the achievement of TLSC’s philosophy, mission, strategy, annual goals and objectives.
- Cultivate relationships with law schools and law firms to assist with staff recruitment for open positions throughout the organization and pro bono opportunities to support client services including the TexasLawHelp and Texas Legal Answers projects.
- Serve as a TLSC ambassador, promoting TLSC as a desired employer that values diversity and provides a respectful and inclusive environment to grow professionally.
- Travel to locations outside of Austin to further training and recruitment efforts.
- Prepare reports and information needed/requested for TLSC reporting.
- Collaborate with Human Resources to develop best practices for recruitment and hiring.
- Collaborate with the Development Director and Executive Director to cultivate potential donors.
- Handle other assignments as requested by the Executive Director.
- J.D. Degree.
- Licensure by the Supreme Court of Texas.
- Litigation experience.
- Experience making presentations to large audiences.
- Five years of management/supervisory experience.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS (REQUIRED)
- Current knowledge and expertise of the law and legal system, especially in areas that impact people living in poverty.
- Experience with leading, mentoring, and motivating staff.
- Exceptional verbal, listening and written communications skills.
- High-level organization and problem-solving skills.
- Strong time management and attention to detail skills.
- Strong interpersonal, diplomacy and collaboration skills.
- Proficiency with or the ability to learn LegalServer (TLSC’s case management system), Adobe, Microsoft Office products, and social media tools.
- Experience using or ability to learn technology, including virtual meeting software/technology, such as GoToWebinar, Zoom or Skype.
- Ability to travel outside of Austin.
- Sedentary work that involves sitting most of the time.
- Occasional bending, squatting, and kneeling.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and a negligible amount of force as needed, at times to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.