Director of Systems, Compliance, Training and Volunteer Engagement
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $8 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Newland, Spruce Pine, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Highlands/Cashiers and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of ninety-six, including thirty-six attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Nature of Position:
PLS seeks a Director of Systems, Compliance, Training and Volunteer Engagement to develop and manage systems to train, support, ensure compliance with ACA and IRS rules and regulations, and retain a robust and skilled program staff and volunteer corps for a new, multi-year grant funded program. This ambitious program, the WNC Economic Recovery Program, is designed to have long-term impact through two main priorities: (1) reduce the child poverty rate in each WNC county and (2) increase the insured rate through quality, affordable health care coverage in each WNC county. The program will base the volunteer model on PLS’ longstanding and successful Affordable Care Act Volunteer model. Volunteer opportunities will include: ACA enrollment appointments, IRS VITA tax preparation services, community outreach and program administrative support.
The Director of Systems, Compliance, Training and Volunteer Engagement is a critical role in designing, leading and expanding current systems and policies for health enrollment and tax preparation services, and developing a broader base of volunteers across our regional footprint to include all 18 counties across WNC. The ideal candidate will possess a diverse background and relevant experience that includes proven compliance and systems management, volunteer program implementation and management, volunteer recruitment, technical skills training, development of training curriculum and resources, volunteer appreciation and retention, feedback systems and workflow design.
The position will be supervised by the Director of WNC Economic Recovery Program and will lead expansion of PLS volunteer tax and ACA services across the 18 county WNC region in collaboration with four Regional Program Directors.
- Design and maintain systems for compliance with rules and regulations across the program
- Develop content for substantive trainings for tax preparation and enrollment assistance and maintain up to date on key topics
- Recruit, train and retain a highly skilled and diverse volunteer base with technical expertise in ACA enrollment work and/or IRS tax preparation services.
- Implement key aspects of the expanded health and tax services across WNC through the use of volunteers and in partnership with Regional Program Directors.
- Design and implement systems for volunteer program, including background checks, interview process, training and feedback, skill-building, scheduling and quality assurance.
- Partner with local community colleges, colleges and universities and other community organizations for volunteer recruitment.
- Engage community leaders and partner organizations that serve children, and develop key community relationships and partnerships to reach low-income households and non-filing households.
- Provide education, outreach and trainings to constituents of partner organizations.
- Help to administer major grant funding to implement this expanded and enhanced program and meeting grant goals.
Salary ranges from $48,983-$74,293 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- Experience with federal, state and foundation grants and outcomes-based deliverables.
- Experience in ACA health enrollment as a federal navigator or certified application counselor and/or VITA tax preparation experience.
- Free from conflicts of interest under ACA regulations.
- Ability to organize and analyze large amounts of information and create workflows.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities.
- Comprehensive understanding of Social Determinants of Health.
- Experience in designing and creating systems and workflows.
- Experience volunteer management and program oversight.
- Possess socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and ability to communicate with persons in crisis or under stress.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively with in a variety of nonprofit and health care stakeholders.
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset. Detail-oriented, accurate and organized.
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Highly proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Valid driver’s license.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to email@example.com. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.