Director (Office of Clients’ Rights Advocacy)
Individuals who are Deaf or Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Salary Range (Depending on Experience): $123,923 – $176,202 annually
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time, Exempt
EXCELLENT BENEFITS including 8% 401k match
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) contracts with the California Department of Developmental Services (DDS) to provide a program of clients’ rights advocacy services for clients of the 21 regional centers statewide. DRC provides this program through the Office of Clients Rights Advocacy (OCRA).
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
OCRA’s program provides consultation and assistance to regional center clients, including: serving as a clients’ rights resource to regional center clients, their families, and the community; assisting regional center clients in understanding procedures for initiating fair hearings; obtaining generic services such as IHSS and SSI; asserting and protecting the rights of regional center clients changing their residence, including placement in facilities and judicial commitments to state-operated facilities; investigating denials of rights under Title 17, California Code of Regulations, Section 50540; providing self-advocacy trainings to regional center clients; and providing clients’ rights training to regional center staff and service providers.
The OCRA Director reports directly to DRC’s Executive Director and is a member of the senior leadership team, responsible for day-to-day operations of program activities and office administration, program leadership and guidance, and formulating program priorities. The OCRA Director is the liaison between DDS and DRC for activities performed under the clients’ rights advocacy contract. They are responsible for program budgeting and reporting to grantors and other parties.
The OCRA Director also directs the Work Incentives Planning and Assistance (WIPA) program, pursuant to a grant from the Social Security Administration. WIPA offers free individualized work incentives counseling to eligible individuals living in specific counties. The WIPA program is a free service that helps Social Security beneficiaries who receive benefits based on a disability make informed choices about their employment goals.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Juris Doctor degree or equivalent and membership in the California State Bar. In the alternative, eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program with admission to the California State Bar required within 3 years.
· Successfully able to obtain Federal Level 5 Suitability clearance (details below).
· Demonstrated commitment – through lived experience or employment history – to working with people with disabilities.
· At least ten years’ experience as a practicing attorney with at least four years of practice in public interest law. Judicial clerkships or externships may count as up to one year of legal practice experience.
· At least five years’ experience advocating for the rights of people with disabilities or other underserved groups.
· At least five years’ experience in employee supervision and management.
· At least two years’ experience in program administration or fiscal management.
· Experience with laws, rights, and services as they pertain to people with disabilities, or direct representation of people with disabilities.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively.
· Demonstrated ability to analyze complex problems and develop creative solutions.
· Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people.
The ability to obtain a Federal Level 5 Suitability clearance is required for access to WIPA program information. The federal government determines whether to grant the clearance after a background investigation involving a credit check and inquiries to law enforcement, employers, schools, and references for the past five years
Working at DRC is more than just a job - it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a generous benefit package. To view the detailed job description and complete the application process click