Director of Marketing and Communications
A RESUME, COVER LETTER AND WRITING SAMPLE ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
With 12 offices statewide and more than 250 staff, MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year. To learn more about our work, please go to our website at www.mdlab.org.
The Director of Marketing & Communications is a key member of Maryland Legal Aid’s management team. The Director develops, implements and assesses the effectiveness of a wide range of internal and external marketing and communications functions focusing on Maryland Legal Aid’s advocacy efforts and business operations. The Director supervises a Marketing & Communications Specialist and reports to the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain media database to include a broad range of print, broadcast and online media outlets and professionals.
- Develop and maintain collaborative and mutually beneficial relationships with key media outlets and reporters/producers.
- Proactively seek media and online coverage that positions Maryland Legal Aid as a leader in the provision of free civil legal services and a pioneer in incorporating a human rights framework as the bedrock of its work.
- Seek opportunities to position Maryland Legal Aid’s management, staff and volunteers (i.e., Board and Equal Justice Council/Equal Justice Associates members) as spokespersons to the media and at community/policy-making gatherings.
- Utilize appropriate social media outlets to share information about the organization, its mission, services and accomplishments.
- Write and disseminate media material including Op-eds, news advisories, press releases, backgrounders, talking points, etc.
- Provide media training and talking points to spokespeople.
- Respond to all media inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Handle crisis communications (internal and external), as needed.
Website/ Internal Communications
- Play a lead role in ensuring the brand vision and messaging of Maryland Legal Aid’s website.
- Ensure that all sections of the website are regularly updated.
- Create, maintain and update a robust “News” or “News of Note” section of the website that includes, but not be limited to: press releases; links to media and online coverage of Maryland Legal Aid and its programs, staff and accomplishments; bios and downloadable photos of key staff; transcripts of speeches delivered by key staff; “Key Facts” about Maryland Legal Aid; historical timeline, etc.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures regarding website content and design, as well as internal communications.
- Serve as primary writer and project manager for the Annual Report.
- Write and oversee production of a range of internal and external print and e-publications including, but not limited to, the internal newsletter (“What’s Going On?”) and the external newsletter (“The Justice Journal”).
- Serve as writer/co-writer/editor and/or project manager for informational and promotional publications including, but not limited to, legal rights pamphlets and brochures on specific civil legal topics.
- Work with external professionals (i.e. graphic designers, photographers, writers, videographers, etc.) in producing promotional and informational materials to further Maryland Legal Aid’s mission and advocacy efforts.
- Coordinate paid advertising and promotional opportunities in print, electronic, and social media to promote Maryland Legal Aid’s mission and services, commemorate organizational milestones, and acknowledge accomplishments of staff, board, and volunteers.
- Work with the resource development units to ensure that the organization’s funders are appropriately highlighted in all communications vehicles, including the Maryland Legal Aid website and its print and e-publications.
- Serve as the main point of contact and expert communications resource for all Maryland Legal Aid offices and units throughout the state.
- The Director of Marketing & Communications will be a seasoned and strategic communications professional with a B.A. or B.S. degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field (Master’s degree preferred), and a minimum of five (5) years of experience in media relations and corporate communications.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have supervisory experience and who offer a minimum of three (3) years of experience working in legal services or not-for-profit environments, and a desire to positively impact the lives of vulnerable people and communities.
- A demonstrated history of securing media coverage on local, regional and national levels.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the confidential nature of Maryland Legal Aid’s advocacy work and business operations.
- Exceptional writing, editing and project management skills.
- Experience with developing strategic content for websites.
- Two (2) to three (3) years of experience using social media to leverage communications and organizational initiatives.
- The ability to create positive, productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders that further the mission and vision of Maryland Legal Aid.
- Have a “big picture” approach with the ability and desire to ensure that details are handled.
Proven self-starter with keen organizational, analytic and partnership-building skills.
Ability to reprioritize and pivot from one project to the next, ensuring that all deliverables are fulfilled/tasks completed.
Apply for Director of Marketing and Communications using the link below:
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER