Director of Litigation
Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc. (GBLA) seeks experienced applicants for its Director of Litigation position. Under general direction, the Director of Litigation is responsible for the development, supervision, and coordination of substantive legal work of Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc. (GBLA); maximizes the quality of the legal product through individual litigation efforts, effective co-counseling with other GBLA attorneys or outside pro bono counsel, and development and implementation of training plans for attorneys, paralegals, and other program staff of GBLA; carries an active caseload involving complex factual and legal issues.
Qualifications: Active membership in the California State Bar and have minimum 8 years of experience as a practicing attorney with proven civil litigation experience; experience working in legal services preferred; cultural and linguistic competency in working with low-income communities a strong plus; have the ability to travel to locations outside of the regular office to perform necessary legal services; ability to plan, staff, and direct a diverse work force; have thorough knowledge of the principals of law, trial and appellate procedure, and their application; ability to analyze difficult and complex legal problems; ability to perform legal research and apply legal principles; ability to present statements of fact, law, and argument clearly and logically, both in written and oral form; ability to maintain effective working relationships with others, including other members of the legal profession and general public; knowledge of basic computer applications.
1. Develop and coordinate system for supervising legal work, professional development and training of attorneys, paralegals, and other program staff.
2. Directs, trains, and evaluates performance of attorneys, paralegals and other staff.
3. Recommends staff attorney assignments and makes routine case assignments as needed.
4. Assist and mentor less experienced attorneys in trial preparation and development of expertise.
5. Assist and supervise GBLA attorneys in developing impact litigation and other strategies to ameliorate problems faced by GBLA’s low-income clients.
6. Assists project supervising attorneys to ensure grant deliverables are met.
7. Participates in hiring of GBLA attorneys, paralegals and other program staff.
8. Maintains an active caseload involving complex litigation.
9. Develops and fosters collaborative relationships with local, state, and federal agencies, other legal services providers and law firms.
10. Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director
Compensation: Salary DOE. Generous benefit package includes paid vacation and sick leave, medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurances. Also includes twelve paid holidays.
To Apply: Submit Cover Letter, Legal Writing Sample, Resume, and Three Professional References to: Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc. Attn: HR Department 615 California Avenue Bakersfield, CA 93304 firstname.lastname@example.org