Director of Litigation
Be a part of an organization making a difference in the Central Florida community. As an Orlando Business Journal’s 2021 Best Places to Work Honoree and Orlando Sentinel’s 2022 Best Workplaces Honoree, Community Legal Services (CLS) is a full service civil legal aid law firm that promotes equal access to justice, specifically for the most vulnerable individuals in our society.
- 15 paid holidays and 24 days of paid time off
- Excellent physical/mental health, vision, and benefits (With 95% of benefits paid for by company)
- 100% Coverage with Dental Benefits, Life Insurance, Long/Short Term Disability
- 100% 403B match
- CLS pays Bar Dues and CLE Credits
- Student loan reimbursement for Attorneys
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Ability to apply for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Fantastic work-life balance
- Various opportunities for upward mobility into leadership/more advanced roles
- Pet Insurance
- Wellness Committee dedicated to employee morale, with events such as company wide retreats, activities, and challenges!
CLS is currently searching for a service-minded, mission driven individual to fill the following position:
Director of Litigation
The Director of Litigation is responsible for supporting, refining, building, and maintaining best practice approaches to support and assist the legal team at CLS.The Director of Litigation will utilize the ability to simultaneously coordinate multiple cases in State and Federal courts, while also monitoring, mentoring and co-counseling additional cases handled by program staff.
The Director of Litigation works in conjunction and will collaborate with the Director of Advocacy.
- Mentor attorneys at all levels, teach litigation strategies, and develop the litigation skills of the attorneys at CLS.
- Co-counsel, coordinate, and advise on all levels of litigation include complex litigation.
- Lead litigation teams and evaluate alternative forums for solving issues in advance of litigation.
- Collaborate closely with the Director of Advocacy to identify areas of greatest impact, develop response strategies, and provide guidance to staff and assistance to clients in the response.
- Handle many administrative and management tasks, including grant compliance, personnel supervision and quality assurance evaluations, staff retention, private bar relations, and strategic planning.
- Coordinate advocacy efforts to lead and support staff and managers to optimize high quality advocacy across the firm.
- Strategic Focus of program litigation and advocacy who acts as a catalyst for the identification of systemic issues that affect Legal Services’ clients.
- Develop litigation and or advocacy strategies with a focus on CLS’s priorities and community need.
- Set numeric and programmatic goals, analyze process, and adjust to meet performance goals.
- Collaborate and communicate CLS’s strategic litigation goals to staff, partners, and stakeholders.
- The candidate in this role will provide dynamic, motivational leadership for high-quality, impactful and innovative legal representation, and advocacy to CLS’s legal team.
- Ensure substantive law units and organization are maximizing the impact of litigation.
- Other duties as assigned.
a. Demonstrating commitment to promoting the mission, vision, and values of CLS.
b. Unwavering dedication to high-quality legal programs, fiscal strength, and organizational integrity.
2. Background and Experience
- Juris Doctorate with 10-15 years of experience in the practice of law.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Florida and a member in good standing.
- Experience practicing in both State and Federal Court as lead counsel.
- Highly polished presentation and organizational skills and the ability to engage a broad staff and client constituency effectively and consistently.
- Experience and expertise to conceptualize new and appropriate litigation and advocacy strategies and translate them into achievable plans.
- Must possess excellent legal project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to "see the big picture" and provide strategic advice and input while also executing tactically policies and procedures.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Proof of insurance necessary.
- Valid driver’s license with ability to travel, working both scheduled and flexible work hours, including some or weekends and evenings to perform duties within the CLS 12 county service area.
3. Physical Requirements
a. Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
b. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at times.
CLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer: We value a diverse workforce and the promotion of inclusive culture at all levels.
CLS does not discriminate against any employee or qualified applicant for employment from all qualified individuals based on age, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sex, disability, socio-economic position, religion, political belief, protected genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal or State law.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Please click on this link and apply through our application portal: