Director of Finance, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc.
Director of Finance
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc., a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to people living with low income/low opportunity, seeks a full-time Director of Finance. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance is an integral member of the senior management team. The chosen candidate will be responsible for taking on a leadership role in financial decision-making that affects Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (LSEM) and will provide strategic financial input to senior management and the Board of Directors. The Finance Director oversees the overall accounting process, budgeting, financial grant compliance, and audits. The ideal candidate is skilled at developing and implementing financial procedures and system changes to improve and maintain the financial health of the organization. LSEM has an operating budget of $9 million, over 50 separate grants, and a total staff of 90. LSEM’s accounting department is staffed by two experienced accountants in addition to the Finance Director. Please note: LSEM Staff are currently working remotely due to Covid-19.
- Serve as a key member of the senior management team, partnering with the Executive Director, Director of Human Resources, Associate Director of Administration, Associate Director of Client Services, and the Director of Advocacy.
- Participate in identifying appropriate strategies to meet the organization’s mission and vision.
Provide the financial reporting and guidance necessary to assist the Executive Director and Board of Directors in setting vision, determining direction and implementing strategy.
- o Presents quarterly financial statements, including trends and analysis, to the Board of Directors. Able to translate financial information and protocols to non-financial staff at all levels.
- o Lead annual organizational budget process, regularly review income and expenditures against budget, and work with senior management team to manage budgets and financial results.
- o Recommends improvement of the firm’s policies, procedures and practices on financial matters to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- o Provide analysis and recommendations to inform program decisions, new initiatives, and the allocation of resources.
Oversee performance of outside financial service providers and fiscal oversight of all vendors.
- o Serve as primary contact for auditors. Oversee the annual audit process, including preparation of supporting documentation and in-depth review of draft audited financial statements and tax returns.
- o Working with the outside investment advisor and the Board Finance Committee, oversee investment strategy and performance for the operating reserves and cashflow management.
- o Serving as a fiduciary for the 401(a) retirement plan, coordinate investment performance oversight with the Executive Director, Director of Human Resources, and Board Finance Committee.
- o Working with Director of Human Resources, provide fiscal oversight of employee benefits and technology.
- o Working with the Associate Director of Administration, provide fiscal oversight of facility contractors.
- o Oversee all procurement processes to ensure compliance with all policies and procedures.
Oversee all accounting and finance activities for the organization, and ensure accounting procedures are in compliance.
- o Create and oversee a strong control environment for the organization, including planning, updating, and managing internal controls and fraud prevention systems, key policies and procedures, and training staff on the importance of such controls.
- o Oversee accounting team, utilizing technology advances to continually improve accounting systems, streamline procedures and provide timely information.
- o Oversee LSC and United Way reporting requirements and review all grant budget applications, invoicing, and financial reporting.
o Responsible for compliance with all local, state and federal regulations and rules pertaining to fiscal matters, including those required by GAAP, IRS, Legal Services Corporation, OMB Uniform Guidance, and all other applicable regulations and rules for grants.
- Firm grasp of GAAP impact on revenue and expense reporting.
- Understanding of complexities with cost allocations under OMB Uniform Guidance.
- Ensure adherence to LSC financial policies throughout the organization.
Salary and Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, flexible spending account, and paid continuing education.
- CPA experience required, Bachelor’s degree or Masters’ degree in Accounting preferred
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a robust accounting position with at least 5 years’ experience working with a non-profit organization with multiple funding sources. At least 5 years’ supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and team management, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with ability to be detail oriented.
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines.
- Strong grasp on technology and related tools including accounting and payroll software, database management, and cloud-based technology platforms. Champion technology initiatives in fiscal area.
- A commitment to fostering inclusivity and equity.
How to Apply:
Please upload your resume, cover letter, and list of references through JobScore at:
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to Legal Services of Eastern Missouri’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.