Director of Finance
JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND BOARD AUDIT & FINANCE COMMITTEE
Position Location: Fall River, Massachusetts
Date Posted: December 18, 2019
Application Deadline: The position will be open until filled.
For full consideration, apply by January 20, 2020
Salary Range: $90,000+ DOE and Qualifications, Excellent Benefits
South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS), the primary provider of free civil legal aid to low income residents of Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod & the Islands, seeks an experienced and detail oriented Director of Finance to implement and manage financial operations for SCCLS and it subsidiary, the Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts.
Reporting to SCCLS’ Executive Director and its Audit and Finance Committee, the Fiscal Officer is a key part of the Executive Management team and has primary responsibility for financial planning and implementing, managing, and controlling all financial related activities for the organization. This includes direct responsibility for accounting, financial management, forecasting, budgeting, strategic planning, and financial compliance with grants and contracts.
SCCLS is a growing non-profit. With a staff of 56, four offices and more than $7 million in annual funding from 30+ sources, SCCLS operates a statewide AmeriCorps program and provides civil legal aid to more than 11,000 residents in its region. Major funders include Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation, the federal Legal Services Corporation, Corporation for National and Community Service, MA Department of Public Health, United Ways and a variety of other governmental entities and private foundations.
The Fiscal Officer will have an excellent opportunity to contribute to the strategic growth of the organization.
• Maintain all accounts, manage the overall financial operations of SCCLS, and supervise and direct the work of the Fiscal Office staff.
• Prepare periodic reports for operations to provide the board and managers with data for goal setting and decision making, and to insure compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Ensure that SCCLS complies with all funder requirements, including the Legal Services Corporation regulations, policies, and Audit Guide, as well as with generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
• Lead annual audit process and preparation of all tax filings in coordination with outside auditors.
• Prepare project budgets for grant proposals of all types.
• Serve as staff liaison and resource to SCCLS’ Board and Audit and Finance Committee; Communicate with and report to the Audit and Finance Committee; Prepare and deliver monthly financial reports to the Executive Management team, Audit & Finance and Board.
• Work with the Executive Management Team to develop the annual organizational budget for Board approval, and two year projections for Board consideration.
• Ensure compliance with all allocation policies and accurate allocations of grant expenses.
• Collaborate with the Assistant to the Executive Director to ensure all HR and payroll functions are met, including accurate implementation of salaries and benefits. Assist in periodic review of benefit providers’ cost, benefit levels, and services. Assist Executive Director with union issues and negotiations as needed.
• Maintain the Accounting information system and other secure electronic systems as required for proper processing and reporting of data in accordance with mandatory filings.
• Maintain appropriate corporate insurance coverage for property, general liability, workers’ compensation, employee bond and professional liability (malpractice insurance); Work with insurance providers to ensure adequate coverage and timely renewals take place.
• Manage relationships with outside vendors such as bankers, insurance brokers, retirement plan administrators and financial auditors.
• Review and update Accounting, Payroll and Human Resource policies and procedures, and assess internal controls as needed.
• Maintain the permanent books and records of the organization and manage the archive of administrative records for proper retention and destruction.
• Perform other work as determined by the Executive Director.
• B.S. degree in Accounting or Finance is required; seven (7) or more years of nonprofit accounting experience at the senior accountant level or higher; CPA preferred. Experience with Uniform Guidance/Single Audit requirements and IRS Form 990 is preferred. Must be up-to-date with accounting standards relevant to nonprofits.
• Proven communication skills utilizing a variety of tools including spreadsheets, graphs, written narrative, and oral methods that present complex financial information in a concise, easy to understand format.
• Experience with government grants preferred and with Legal Services Corporation grants a plus.
• Proven ability to see the big picture, to anticipate and resolve issues, and to organize details.
• Interest in working with a mission-driven organization.
• Recent experience and/or exposure to various accounting systems and subsidiary systems is preferred; knowledge of recent improvements and best practices in using accounting/finance related software required. Experience with QuickBooks and intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
• Proven attention to detail as realized in numeric accuracy, precise labels, and aesthetically pleasing presentations of the data is required
.• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a committed team, but also self-motivated. Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines as needed.
• Experience in human resources management preferred.
To Apply: Qualified applicants should submit:
1) A letter of intent
3) Three professional references
TO: Jmarcotte@sccls.org with DIRECTOR OF FINANCE in the subject line.
South Coastal Counties Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.