Director of Finance
The Director of Finance has overall responsibility for the financial and administrative functions of the organization, including assisting the Chief Executive Officer in developing and implementing program policy and directives, establishing procedures to safeguard program assets, and providing timely and reliable financial information. The Director of Finance is responsible for preparing financial statements, maintaining financial reporting, and fiscal analysis. This position is also responsible for the operations of grant award administration and related accounting duties. Working closely with the Chief Executive Officer and the Board’s Finance Committee, the Director of Finance will focus heavily on budgeting, compliance, reporting, and variance analysis functions with specific grants and entity wide. This position collaborates with other departments and agencies to accurately account for project costs, thoroughly analyze variances to the budget, and clearly communicate these results to the appropriate management.
- Prepare annual agency budgets for presentation to Board of Directors for approval.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and reports for the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors, as well as any other internal or external financial documents required for the management of the program.
- Develop and implement systems and procedures for the financial management of the agency, in compliance with all federal, state and agency requirements and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Leads and manages the activities of the staff within the Fiscal and Compliance Department.
- Monitor the financial performance against applicable budgets and recommends any necessary corrective action.
- Maintain General Ledger chart of accounts.
- Manage and perform grant-related award functions from the proposal stage to the closeout stage of the award.
- Develops and documents business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Allocate entity wide expenses across departments/projects using Cost Accounting.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports to grantors as required.
- Stay current with new GAAP standards related to Gulfcoast Legal Services.
- Maintain the GLS internal Accounting Manual.
- Serve as point of contact for agency contracts.
- Review monthly accounts receivable and accounts payable invoices and provide account codes, when appropriate, for proper grant accounting.
- Produce budget and expense analysis reports.
- Prepare and submit monthly and quarterly invoices for grant reimbursement.
- Collaborate with Chief Executive Officer and team members on budget development revision, and compliance for grants, projects, substantive units, and the organization.
- Manage A/P and A/R to ensure compliance with GLS internal Accounting Manual & GAAP.
- Perform ad-hoc financial analysis in response to requests or to provide support to various programs.
- Provide all required information and follow-up actions for audits and monitoring.
- Review and approve payroll change reports prior to submission to third party payroll servicer. Reviews and approves payroll transactions.
- Coordinate the monthly review and reconciliation of cash accounts. Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and cash flow analysis.
- Oversee procurement activity of the agency, assuring that all ethical standards are met.
- Identify and recommend cost savings initiatives for program activities and the organization.
- Assists the CEO and/or program supervisors with special projects, assignments, and any additional duties as deemed appropriate or as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Accounting or related Finance Degree and/or extensive related field experience; Master’s Degree preferred.
- CPA and/or related license preferred.
- At least five (5) years of relevant, progressively responsible experience in the non-profit sector with experience in budgeting, forecasting and financial reporting is required.
- Ability to communicate financial information effectively to non-financial managers.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and summarize financial records for accuracy and conformance to procedures, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and advanced accounting knowledge.
- Strong analytical, presentation, communication and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of grants and regulations.
- Capable of managing numerous simultaneous projects.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with MS Office with advanced skills using Microsoft Excel.
- Good organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
Basic Standards of Performance:
- Satisfactory attendance and punctuality.
- Compliance with all agency policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with and adherence to the organization’s mission.
- Valid Florida driver’s license and ability to attend community meetings and to represent Gulfcoast Legal Services at local community partner agencies.
Special Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong leadership skills; ability to lead with compassion and accountability.
- Proficient with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge or similar accounting system.
- Familiarity with Legal Server case management system.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written required.
- Ability to deal professionally, courteously, and efficiently with people.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; exhibit independent judgment in the implementation of plans, procedures, and policies.
- Customer service orientation.
- Excellent problem-solving and negotiation abilities.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Well-organized, self-motivated and able to prioritize and manage multiple deadlines.
- Openness to change and flexibility to new situations and experiences.
- Goal oriented self-starter.
- Must maintain high level of confidentiality.
- Must maintain high level of ethical behavior.
- Ability to work on various projects with different priorities.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Ability to lift and/or carry office supplies, equipment, files, etc. up to 25 lbs. when required.
Submit cover letter and resume indicating appropriate qualifications to Tara Myer, Fiscal and HR Manager, email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled. No phone calls. Due to the number of applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for understanding.