Director of Development (Remote)
The Aspen Leadership Group is proud to partner with National Immigration Law Center (NILC) in the search for a Director of Development.
The Director of Development will provide strategic leadership and guidance on NILC and NILC Immigrant Justice Fund’s (NILC IJF) fundraising functions. The Director of Development will lead a high performing development department; create and successfully implement a diversified fundraising plan that thrives in a rapid response work environment and meets the annual budgetary needs of the two organizations; and strengthen the foundation for long-term sustainability. NILC’s annual budget is approximately $20 million, approximately two-thirds of which is from institutions and one-third of which is from individuals (both grassroots and high net worth). NILC IJF's budget is smaller, approximately $2 million, and is expected to grow.
Read the full prospectus here: https://opportunities.aspenleadershipgroup.com/opportunities/984
The Director of Development will
· develop and oversee a comprehensive and diverse fundraising program for NILC and NILC IJF, including but not limited to institutional, unions and private sector portfolios, a major donor program, planned giving, and a general donor program;
· collaborate with executive leadership to identify ways to support the organizations' missions through fundraising;
· engage organizational and programmatic leaders to identify prospective new funders and major donors, and ensure that key internal stakeholders have the information and support they need to methodically cultivate relationships and secure funding;
· serve as a key thought partner to the Chief Operating Officer in developing fundraising strategies and take responsibility for the successful execution of these in coordination with other members of the development team, including direct engagement in fundraising;
· develop annual fundraising goals and long-term targets for NILC and NILC IJF, in collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer and Director of Finance and Administration;
· develop strategy and oversee stewardship, prospecting, solicitation, and retention efforts to meet annual and long-term targets;
· promote a community-centric fundraising culture within NILC that is aligned with its values of equity, inclusion, and impact;
· work directly with the Executive Director and other members of the executive leadership team to prepare for funder and donor stewardship and cultivation activities;
· shepherd efforts across NILC and NILC IJF teams to develop high impact partnerships that provide visibility, build credibility, and grow its list of prospective funders and donors;
· oversee the creation of compelling, timely concept notes and proposals to funders that describe a wide range of activities, from litigation to lobbying to partisan activities;
· act as the development department liaison and thought partner to organizational leadership and program teams to address funding priorities that are necessary to advance programmatic goals;
· act as the development department liaison and thought partner to the executive office, senior leadership, and campaigns staff to facilitate cultivation and stewardship activities;
· work with the communications team to oversee the creation of funder-facing products including appeals, annual reports, marketing materials, and website content that engage NILC's and NILC IJF"s current and potential donors; and
· oversee donor cultivation events to increase NILC's and NILC IJF’s visibility.
Leadership and Management
The Director of Development will
· as a member of the senior management team, collaboratively develop and maintain a healthy and vibrant culture of mutual caring and highest standards of work;
· build a team culture and connection to organization-wide strategy and mission, represent the department at internal leadership meetings, provide input and advice on organizational policies and priorities, effectively communicate organizational policies and priorities to the team, and create buy-in;
· represent NILC and NILC IJF in external networks and alliances, and attend events and meetings as needed;
· lead short-, medium-, and long-term planning for the development department, in alignment with overall organizational priorities;
· build a high-performing team and oversee the development and successful execution of departmental and individual work plans;
· oversee overall performance and invest in the team through coaching and providing professional development opportunities;
· together with the Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director, support board members to effectively engage in fundraising work;
· draft and implement the budget for the development department;
· supervise, coach, develop, and evaluate a high-performing development team, fostering diversity, equity, inclusion, and trust within the team, communicating vision, defining roles and objectives, and providing the guidance, resources, and facilitation needed for effective operations; and
· manage or oversee management of outside consultants, third party administrators, and vendors.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé. Cover letters should be responsive to the mission of National Immigration Law Center and the National Immigration Law Center Immigrant Justice Fund as well as the responsibilities and qualifications stated in the position prospectus. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
NILC is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. NILC does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, citizenship status, ethnic background, religion, political orientation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or any other protected class. It considers all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative.
To apply for this position, visit:
To nominate a candidate, please contact Anne Johnson:
All inquiries will be held in confidence.