Director of Development and Communications
Rising for Justice is seeking an experienced fundraiser and communications professional to lead its Development and Communications team. This person will be in charge of incoming revenue streams as well as external communications for the organization.
Development Responsibilities include:
● Development of annual revenue budget, annual fundraising plan and annual fundraising goals in collaboration with the Executive Director.
● Ensure organization meets revenue goals by overseeing three of four revenue streams (event fundraising, individual giving, and grants); collaborate with Executive Director and clinical staff on the fourth revenue stream, law school tuition.
● Oversee Celebration of Service annual fundraising dinner:
○ Recruit Host Committee of fundraising volunteers comprised of legal leaders such as General Counsels and Law Firm Managing Partners;
○ Oversee direct solicitations and volunteer efforts to solicit gifts from law firms and other organizations; and
○ Oversee event logistics and planning, including relationship with hotel and creating dinner program elements (i.e., speeches, videos, etc.).
○ Build pipeline of new foundation support
○ Oversee existing foundation relationships, including applications and reporting;
○ Ensure internal monitoring of and compliance with all grant requirements.
● General Fundraising:
○ Oversee two annual individual donor appeals - end of year and springtime;
○ Oversee all individual giving with new emphasis on building a major giving pipeline;
○ Supervise development and communications staff; and
○ Serve as a member of the organization's senior leadership team.
Communications Responsibilities include:
● Increase Rising for Justice’s exposure in the press;
● Oversee Rising for Justice’s website and social media accounts (i.e., Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn);
● Manage brand standards and external voice, including all marketing collateral;
● Develop national network of alumni as donors and friends of the organization; and
● Actively communicate with and engage current donor base, including conducting donor visits.
About Rising for Justice
Created in 1969, Rising for Justice, formerly known as D.C. Law Students in Court, is the oldest clinical teaching program in the District of Columbia. Rising for Justice currently operates as a public interest legal services provider and clinical education program. Our mission is to leverage the collective force of students and experienced advocates to promote the principles of equal justice for low income and indigent D.C. residents. Rising for Justice embraces equal justice and diversity as core values. We strive to maintain a workplace that is vibrant, welcoming, innovative, and collaborative. We are committed to fostering the thoughtful exchange of ideas and to ensuring that all voices are heard and respected. We seek a Director of Development and Communications who embraces our mission and values. Our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and non-discrimination includes race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, personal appearance, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, family responsibilities, disability, status as a veteran, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law or regulation.
The successful candidate must:
● be committed to the mission of Rising for Justice;
● have strong written and verbal communication skills;
● have at least 5–7 years’ fundraising experience, including a proven track record of
securing major gifts;
● have demonstrable experience securing grant support;
● show consistent attention to detail; and
● have strong ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and escalate issues as necessary.
The ideal candidate will also:
● have experience overseeing social media and other digital communications platforms;
● have experience in fundraising in the legal service provider context.
Accountability: Reports to the Executive Director.
Hours, Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time position based on a 40-hour work week. Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; generous sick, annual and personal leave; and paid federal and local holidays.
Each candidate should submit a cover letter and resume by email to Liz Kanne, Interim Office Manager, at email@example.com. Please indicate “Director of Development and Communications, [your full name]” in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.