Director of Development and Communications
The Director of Development and Communications will be responsible for ensuring achievement of our fundraising and communication goals through collaboration, strategy, planning and execution. The individual in this key role will work closely with the Executive Director, senior leadership team and board members.
The Director of Development and Communications will:
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to develop strategic fundraising plans to significantly increase the portfolio of individual donors and institutional funders with a focus on building support from outside the legal profession
- Guide and manage the grant and individual donor solicitation process (including proposal/report writing) in a timely manner, while ensuring compliance, accountability and integrity
- Develop new fundraising efforts, including social media, targeted web campaigns and major gift campaigns as well as planned giving opportunities, to attract new donors and enhance support from existing donors
· Oversee and supervise the administration and growth of revenue coming from BayLegal's grants and contracts portfolio, which includes all government, foundation and corporate grants
· Oversee management of BayLegal's information and data systems, including the accurate entry, maintenance and updating of all donor and grants records.
· With the Executive Director, lead the Board Development Committee to establish short and long term development plans
· Serve as staff liaison to Fundraising Committee of the Board of Directors
· Manage and oversee the Development & Communications Officer
· Work with Director of Litigation and Director of Pro Bono to enhance the work of our impact litigation
- Drive BayLegal's communications activities including media relations, maintenance and development of the BayLegal website, listservs, and social media; and the production of newsletters, annual reports, and other marketing materials.
The ideal candidate will be an entrepreneurial professional who enjoys front‑line relationship building, soliciting, developing long range and strategic plans for increasing institutional giving support and expanding BayLegal's funding base. Strong candidates for this position will have a combination of development and communications skills.
Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Please send cover letter, diversity statement (see BayLegal.org/employment for details), resume, references, and writing sample to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Health Consumer Center Attorney in your application.
In a separate page from your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include the working poor, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.