Director of Development
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS), founded in 1981, is the largest statewide volunteer legal services organization in Maryland. The mission of MVLS is to connect Marylanders facing financial hardships with volunteer lawyers, tax professionals, and community partners to deliver free civil legal assistance because there should be justice for all, not just for those who can afford it. We achieve this goal primarily through our core pro bono program and more targeted programs that serve specialized legal needs. For more program information, visit our website: www.mvlslaw.org.
MVLS’s core values are teamwork, passion for MVLS’s mission, commitment to clients, volunteers, and community partners, initiative and commitment to eliminate systemic barriers to justice based on race and economic disparities. MVLS is committed to fostering an inclusive culture in the workplace. Our work to end barriers to justice starts with increasing the racial diversity of our staff to better reflect the communities we serve.
The Director of Development, with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, is responsible for planning, execution, management and evaluation of all fundraising efforts including annual giving, special events, major gifts, grant writing, corporate sponsorship, planned giving as well as donor stewardship, cultivation, correspondence, and communications. The director supervises the Development Manager and oversees the Board’s Fundraising Committee. The Director of Development serves as a member of MVLS’ leadership team. MVLS has an annual budget of approximately $3 million.
· Help MVLS donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with our organization
- Secure and identify potential major gifts at the $1,000+ level
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including Donor Perfect database and wealth screening tools
- Manage and create portfolio of 50+ major donors and prospects
- Work with the Executive Director, Development Manager, MVLS staff and Board of Directors to set goals and coordinate efforts
- Create and implement moves management cultivation plans for donors
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications)
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition
- Track and report progress using specific metrics
- Ensure prompt acknowledgment and stewardship of all major donors and gifts
- Responsible for Community Investment Tax Credit application, tracking, reporting and for marketing plans to promote the tax credits to major donors
· Provide supervision and support to Development Manager who oversees the creation and development of annual fund and acquisition appeals
· Work with Development Manager to cultivate and provide stewardship activities to lower tier donors
· Develop and manage existing major donor campaign (Partners Club), including oversight of production and mailing
Corporate Sponsorship and Special Events
· With the Executive Director, Board, and Development Manager plan all aspects of MVLS events, including 40th Anniversary Campaign (CY 2021), fall recognition and spring fundraising events
· Develop, plan and execute other special events for specific MVLS programs as required
· Work with board and fundraising committee to identify new prospects for event sponsorship
· Coordinate all aspects of corporate sponsorship solicitation
· Direct marketing of events, including social media, email marketing, and public relations efforts
Grant Writing/Foundation Relations
· With support from the MVLS program team coordinate the planning and preparation of grant proposals for private foundation solicitation
· Prepare and compile all components of each grant submission
· Manage all foundation communications and relationships
· Provide oversight and support to Development Manager for tracking of grant submissions, reporting, and communication
· Support the overall long-term financial strength and support of MVLS by working with donors and prospective donors about a variety of gift possibilities, particularly deferred and planned gifts
· Manage and oversee planned giving marketing efforts and cultivation of prospect donors
· Work with Board to create an event to educate donors about MVLS Legacy Circle (planned giving program)
· Identify planned giving prospects through Donor Perfect database and board connections
· Assist with creation of marketing materials and communications for the planned giving program
· Further efforts to secure other funding opportunities through avenues such as cy pres awards.
· Oversight responsibility for all external donor communications including thank you letters, newsletters, monthly e-newsletters, annual report, web content, print pieces with assistance from the Development Manager and Outreach and Communications Manager
· Develop copy for other marketing materials to donors including case for support, brochures, postcards and update correspondence
· Participate in communications and marketing efforts with Communications Consultant
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop meaningful, strategic relationships with current and prospect donors
- Must possess strong time management and organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks effectively
- Leadership and management skills including problem solving, planning, strategy, relationship building, and collaboration
- Excellent computer and communication skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, social media, e-mail marketing software, and donor database systems (experience with Donor Perfect, Constant Contact and WordPress a plus)
- Interest, enthusiasm and affinity for fundraising
- Candidate will be required to use good judgment, integrity, and discretion in handling confidential donor and client information
- Ability to set goals strategically and oversee execution.
Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines.
Details at a glance:
Full Time Schedule
4-Year Degree Required
Excellent benefits including health insurance (with dental and vision benefits), sick leave and vacation.
201 North Charles Street, Suite 1400, Baltimore, MD 21201
March 15, 2021
March 4, 2021
$70,000 - $85,000
Salary range is $70,000 - $85,000 commensurate on experience.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
Demonstrated experience, success, and progressive responsibility in fundraising with a minimum of seven years experience.
Grant preparation/management, event management, and individual donor fundraising experience including securing major gifts
Familiarity with donor management systems
Proven track record of achieving fundraising goals
Commitment to MVLS’ mission of providing access to justice for all
Experience motivating and managing high-profile volunteer leadership and senior executives
Ability to work some evenings and weekends as needed for board and committee meetings, donor stewardship activities, and special events
Submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and three professional references via email with “Development Director” in the subject line to email@example.com. Applications willing be considered on a rolling basis. Submission deadline is March 4.
MVLS is an equal opportunity employer. MVLS does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee on the basis of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, religion, disability status, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, or immigration status.