Director of Compliance & Legal Technology
CILS is a statewide, non-profit corporation that provides legal services to Indian Tribes, Indian organizations, and low-income individual Native Americans on issues of federal Indian law. CILS maintains four field offices throughout California – Bishop, Escondido, Eureka, and Sacramento – and a Principal Office that shares space with the Sacramento field office. CILS currently receives more than $3,000,000 in grant funding annually from a range of different private, state, and federal funders. For more information go to www.calindian.org. POSITION SUMMARY
- The Director of Compliance & Technology is responsible for a high level of compliance work, grants administration and project management. The Director of Compliance & Legal Technology works closely with the Executive Director, Director of Administration, Controller and other staff to ensure organization wide compliance with Legal Services Corporation (LSC) policies through auditing CILS’ case management system (CMS), maintaining funder corrective action plans, collecting required documentation, and managing all statistical reporting. This position will maintain and optimize the CMS, monitor the integrity of data, train CMS users, innovate new strategies for case handling and intake, and implement and lead organization wide legal technology needs and projects.
- Grant program administration, compliance and management including preparation, submission, compliance monitoring and reporting on all CILS local, private, state (CA State Bar, CalATJ, etc.) and federal grants (LSC, DOJ, BJA, etc.) and providing grant support and compliance guidance to all four field offices.
- Lead and participate in the implementation of LegalServer (new CMS), development of new legal technology software, programs, and concepts to build more efficient processes.
- Review files/cases in CMS for compliance. Manage and enforce an effective legal compliance program that is in line with both federal state laws.
- Develop policies and procedures for consistent and clear compliance systems.
- Provide management of recurring reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing management information.
- Respond to requests from auditors, funders, grant monitors, and draft responses to monitor reports.
- Data Management and Reporting to CILS Board of Trustees, Leadership Team, staff, stakeholders, etc.
- Automate and track outcomes for organization-wide strategic plan implementation.
- Conduct legal services contract administration and compliance.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills and discernment as a member of the Leadership Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position is in person in the Sacramento office. Monday and Friday teleworking is possible and is voluntary. On some Mondays and Fridays, if business needs require your physical presence, teleworking will not be possible.
- $82,400 - $107,640 salary range. Hiring salary depends on experience and desired qualifications within the salary range levels.
- CILS offers full family/partner medical, vision and dental benefits, AD&D, short & long-term disability insurances, life insurance, Section 125 Flexible Spending Accounts, generous leave policies, and potential for annual performance incentive.
- The ideal candidate would be able to start working on May 16, 2023.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 3 years of experience in regulatory audit and compliance, data analysis, in a legal setting or related field.
- Ability to create reports, conduct audits, and analyze data.
- Working knowledge of recent developments in statutory, regulatory, and state and federal case law in relevant areas of law.
- Excellent research, writing, and advocacy skills including the ability to advocate in a clear, effective, and logical manger both orally and in writing.
- Excellent leadership skills: ability to lead projects to completion with diverse groups.
- Project Management experience (certification preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and to take initiative.
- Strong work ethic and able to work long hours when required.
- Excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 and case management systems.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Willingness to travel (overnight stays may be required).
- Commitment to providing high quality legal services to low-income and Native Americans.
- Relevant job or educational experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the jo
- Juris Doctor (JD)
- Demonstrated interest in Native American rights, public interest law, and/or non-profit administration strongly preferred. Thorough knowledge of, or the capacity to quickly learn, the organization’s office equipment, recordkeeping systems, management information systems, and related processes.
- Experience with Legal Services Corporation (LSC), California State Bar, Department of Justice or other large private, state, or federal grant funders.
- Experience with Legal Server Case Management Software.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Leann Ferry, Director of Administration, California Indian Legal Services, Re: Director of Compliance & Legal Technology, 117 J Street, Suite 201, Sacramento, CA 95814. E-mail: PO-Hiring@calindian.org. We will accept applications until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. All applicants will be notified when a final hiring decision is made.
May 31, 2023
California Indian Legal Services
117 J Street Suite 201Sacramento, CA 95814
See map: Google Maps