Director of Administration
Founded in 1967, California Indian Legal Services (CILS) is the oldest public interest Indian rights law firm in the country, promoting the fundamental rights of California tribes and Indians through litigation, legislative and administrative advocacy, community development, and other strategies for systemic change. CILS provides a full range of legal representation to California Indian tribes and Indian organizations, advocates for the
rights of California Indians at the local, state, and national levels, and provides direct services and community education to low-income Indian individuals on issues related to Federal Indian Law. Currently, CILS maintains four offices throughout California – Bishop, Escondido, Eureka and Sacramento. This position is located in Sacramento, CA.
Description of Position:
This is a full-time position devoted to supporting the Executive Director to assist him/her in carrying out program management including: preparation, submission, compliance
monitoring and reporting on local, private, state and federal grants; personnel administration; policy development and implementation; oversees IT support; and provides overall administrative support and compliance guidance to all four offices. Candidates must be intelligent, proactive and highly motivated. Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills required. Demonstrated interest in Native American rights, public interest law, and/or non-profit administration strongly preferred.
Competitive salary D.O.E. CILS offers full family/partner medical, vision and dental benefits, AD&D, short & long-term disability insurances, life insurance, Section 125 Flexible Spending Accounts, generous leave policies and potential for annual performance incentive.
- Five years’ experience in the administration of a non-profit organization;
- Four years’ experience working in legal-aid, legal services or other public interest
- equivalent organization;
- Thorough knowledge of, or the capacity to quickly learn, the organization’s office
- equipment, recordkeeping systems, management information systems, and related
- Interpersonal abilities that are professional and discreet and the ability to work with a
- wide range of personalities as required; assertiveness and diplomacy key.
- Attention to detail essential. Punctuality, reliability, and demonstrated ability to
- troubleshoot and follow-up to meet strict deadlines.
- Human Resource management experience preferred, but not required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365, SharePoint, PDF software programs; video/web
Ability to travel; valid Driver’s License
Candidates must have relevant job or educational experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the job tasks listed above;
Submit a cover letter, resume and at least three (3) professional references via e-mail to: PO-Hiring@calindian.org or by mail to: California Indian Legal Services, Re: Director of Administration Position, 609 S. Escondido Blvd., Escondido, CA 92025. Additional information about CILS can be found on our website, at www.calindian.org. We will accept applications until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
CALIFORNIA INDIAN LEGAL SERVICES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
NATIVE AMERICANS, MINORITIES AND THE DISABLED ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.