FLSA Classification: Exempt
Qualifications: See below
Salary/Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience. Preference for New York State residents but open to remote work arrangements. Possibility of flexible/part-time schedule as negotiated.
Supervisor: President of the NYLSC Board of Directors
Agency: Formed in 2014, the New York Legal Services Coalition is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that consists of 49 civil legal services organizations serving every county in New York State. Our mission is to ensure access to civil legal assistance for all New Yorkers in need. We are committed to social justice and equal opportunity for all.
Role: The NYLSC Director will be a dynamic leader, responsible for ensuring the Coalition achieves its mission. This role includes three broad categories of responsibilities: strategic vision & planning; advocacy and communication; and Coalition management and administration. The successful candidate will collaborate with the Coalition membership, and most closely with the Board of Directors and a working executive committee of the Board.
Strategic Vision & Planning:
• Partner with the Coalition Board to formulate and articulate strategic vision;
• Develop and manage plans to operationalize Coalition vision and priorities to maximize impact;
• Ensure that the Coalition engages in annual identification of strategic policy and funding priorities by engaging Board and membership;
• Lead the development of NYLSC’s annual legislative priorities.
Advocacy and Communications:
• Serve as the statewide representative for NYLSC members in legislative, budget, and administrative advocacy;
• Articulate the vision and mission of NYLSC to external audiences including legislators, potential members, and other stakeholders;
• Establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships and communications with policy makers, potential supporters, and other stakeholders;
Management & Administration:
Membership/Board Management: Support the Board of Directors in fulfilling its governance and fiduciary responsibilities and ensure membership engagement.
• Schedule, organize, and support all board meetings and key board committees throughout the year;
• Assist the Board in structuring its work and activities effectively, including annual elections, recruitment and ensuring effective communication to the Board;
• Serve as a multi-directional information hub for the Board, membership, and outside stakeholders to ensure critical material is shared among all parties;
• Assist in recruiting new members;
• Collaborate closely with the Executive Committee, which serves as a working committee to support the Coalition’s activities.
Organizational/Operational Management: Ensure effective management and execution of all Coalition activities.
• Develop and execute an annual work plan based on the NYLSC’s strategic plan and provide progress reports to the Board;
• Staff NYLSC programs;
• Supervise any staff or interns, including making hiring and compensation decisions within the budget.
Fundraising/Fiscal Management: Raise and manage Coalition funding.
• Lead fundraising efforts to support the NYLSC’s mission, including an annual membership campaign;
• Develop an annual budget for Board approval;
• Execute invoicing, accounting, and internal/external financial reporting systems;
• In close partnership with the Board Treasurer, ensure the NYSLC maintains appropriate financial controls and the Board has necessary information to perform its fiduciary oversight responsibility.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree and at least five years of progressively increasing responsibility. Preference may be given for a JD or MA in relevant field. Preference may also be given for experience in a legal aid or legal services law firm.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities: This is leadership position requiring excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills; however, there is operational flexibility and room for growth for emerging leaders. A successful candidate must be able to work independently to pro-actively bring value-added strategic insight to the Board to assist in fulfilling NYLSC’s mission. Knowledge of New York State government is preferred, as is the ability to be a regular and active presence in Albany.
NYLSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, age, or marital status and is an equal access/equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis. Please email resume and cover letter to the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.